Cutting Coils

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
I've been toying with the idea of using some stock pull-offs from my son's truck to get the front end of the L down. I was surprised by how close the spring were to each other!

Here's the real data. I pulled the front suspension apart this weekend for some other work, so here is the side-by-side comparison of the L front coil (02) vs. the 97 F150 4.6 auto, 2wd reg cab, short bed flairside.

coil - SVT
Part # - SVT XL3V-5310-AA
Free Height - 13.8750"
# coils - 8
Spring diameter - 5.6171"
Wire diameter - 0.7734"

coil - F150
Part # - OIL F65A-5310-MA
Free Height - 14.1875"
# coils - 8
Spring diameter - 5.5781"
Wire diameter - 0.7813"

I'm gonna cut 'em :rocker: (the F-150's)

Herb

JJ@WMS

Banned
Herb,

You may want to have the springs rated and see if the L springs are rated higher, I'm sure they are. Height has nothing to do with how the vehicle will sit once they are installed.

FWIW, I cut 1/2 of a coil out of both my stock front springs for lowering and got the desired height I was looking for and it rides great.

Eibachs suck in our trucks and the only lowering springs I install/use/sell are either the ground force or the RUSLOW specific rate springs.

Let me know how it turns out, also call me I have some info for you.

JJ@WMS

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
its not going to hurt anything if ya cut them so i say go for it
but i dont think thy will work for long as they are way thinner

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Thanks for the thoughts on this.

The way I see it is "They're free, why not experiment?"

The F150 coil is 1% thicker wire, 0.7% smaller OD and 2.25% taller free height. The only remaining unmeasureable variables are the installed height and the material composition.

I think I'll put everything back together with the stock coils and finish the motor install. I'll drive a bit to settle them and then I'll then measure wheel center to fender lip and then swap in the uncut F150 coils, settle and measure. At that point I should have a pretty good idea of the differences and I can hack up the F150 coils and experiment. If I F-up too bad, I can always throw the stockers back in.

Herb

Last edited:

203Cree

Established Member
That last sentence will be your saving grace. I don't think cut V6 Spring will hold too long on a V8 truck, but hey, like you said, they're free and you've always got the stockers, so I guess it's worth a shot.

Eibachs suck in our trucks and the only lowering springs I install/use/sell are either the ground force or the RUSLOW specific rate springs.

As far as that goes, I love the Belltech springs I'm runnin, it softened the ride up some but didn't really change the handling too much. I need some QA1's, but that's not a gig on the springs as much as it is the shocks.

LOKOSVT

Established Member
I cut mines one complete loop it leveled out with DJM 4" rear lowering kit. It makes the springs softer and at launch it leans back alot.

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
BTW - guys, they're not V6 springs. My son's truck is a 4.6 V8, so the difference will be pretty minimal between the 4.6 and 5.4 V8s.

Herb

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
LOKOSVT said:
I can send some pics if you would like.

If you dont mind Carlos, that would be great. I've got a set of Roush rear leafs going in and I also have a set of 2" shackles (on now) that I can use to 'tune' the rear height.

Herb

herb101

Dis-Member-ed
Established Member
Yep - and Damn sweet looking truck!! :rockon:

So that's stock coils minus one coil? I hope mine looks that sick! :beer:

Thanks for the shots!
Herb

Users who are viewing this thread