cylinder slap?

tonydahose

Established Member
you guys get this at all...i just started hearing it...maybe i wasn't paying attention to it b4 ...a guy i spoke with said it is common on the 4.6's until the car warms up and then the piston or the cylinder expands as they warm up and it stops...i have heard it sounds alot worse on the marauders..i am going to post there to and see what their experience with it is...chime in if you guys get it too

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I hear a ticking noise sometimes, but it isn't real loud. But that;s about it. I've heard other Cobra and Mustang owners talk about a ticking noise too. Some of them say that they just let it go, and that it never caused any problems. But some say it's due to the lifters, while some say it's just the fuel injectors clicking.

But I don't know if that's the noise that you're talking about. That's the only noise that my car makes, but I only have 16K on the odometer.

tonydahose

Established Member
thats the noise...i spoke to the ford mechanic and thats what he said it was...he said on your cars it seems to be a bit louder because of the placement of the engine in the bay...the wheel well almost seems to amplify the noise:shrug: either way he said it was normal..just wanted to see if anybody else had it occurring

Koolaid_Guy

Piston slap is common on the ls1 and alot of other gm engines espically my bro's 3.1. Havn't heard if to often on ford's though. I heard the 4.6 have a small dose of it but not as bad. The ticking usually is the fuel injectors, their getting louder these days. I hear it on alot of cars these days in the shop. Don't worry about it :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Originally posted by Kool_ZX3
The ticking usually is the fuel injectors, their getting louder these days. I hear it on alot of cars these days in the shop. Don't worry about it :thumbsup:

That's also what I've been told. BTW, do you work as an auto mechanic in a garage?

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
welll i used to hear tick, almost like a keychain hitting something on my nitro motor on my savage, i guess its just an engine thing

Users who are viewing this thread