D&D T-56 crossmember install ?'s

Roush97

Established Member
Hey guys I am in the process of putting my T-56 into my 97 DOHC and it didn't come with any instructions. My problem is that the crossmember doesn't line up with the tranny mount if I install it like it looks like it should go; it sits too far back. D&D told me that I have to drill new holes for the crossmember to line it up with the tranny mount, the only problem is that the old crossmember mounts that are welded to the body get in the way. I am not adversed to cutting them off but I don't want to do more work than is necessary and I want it to fit correctly. If anyone has done this install and has any clue what I am talking about please let me know. I know this sounds confusing but hopefully someone will know what I am talking about. Thanks in advance.

GMKILR9050

MTPockets
Established Member
You need to grind down the welds and move both brackets forward to the next bolt hole and drill new holes. There is no other way around this. It might suck but this is what needs to be done. Just take your time, and have lots of beer ready!:beer:

Roush97

Established Member
Thanks. I'm not afraid of grinding D&D didn't say anthing about grinding is all. I work as a Lexus technician and I have plenty of tools for grinding, cutting, and butchering cars up ;) . Thanks.

GMKILR9050

MTPockets
Established Member
Not only will you need to destroy the welds, you will also need to cut out the center section of the crossmember to allow for easier access to the trans mount. If i remeber correctly as well, you will have to drill a new hole for the diff trans mount. The whole should be drilled directly in the center of the crossmember. I dont have any pics to show you. Its a very straight forward swap.

Users who are viewing this thread