D&D Viper T56 Questions, Driveshaft Dimensions etc etc ??

2JZFAN

Established Member
I'm putting a D&D Viper T56 in my 99 Cobra with IRS next week. I still haven't purchased a driveshaft or clutch just yet. I'm looking for some help on some numbers.

No one has the dimensions of the Aluminum (dynotech) driveshaft D&D sells for $400.00 for use with the T56 in a 99 Cobra with IRS. Both D&D nor Dynotech could give me dimensions on this product. I'd like them so I could contact PST for a carbon driveshaft that's only $100+ more. Does anyone know or has anyone measured the one included with the D&D Viper T56 kit for a 99 Cobra with IRS?

My only other hold-up is trying to figure out what the part# is for the Centerforce Dual friction clutch for my setup. What else do I need beside the clutch? TOB. etc etc..

I'm planning on:
D&D Viper T56
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel (186481)
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch (?????)
PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
FRPP 3.73 Gears
Pro 5.0 Shifter & Steeda Tri-Ax Handle
Steeda Clutch Quadrant & Firewall Adjuster

kwiksnake

Established Member
The driveshaft dimensions for your application should be identical to a 03 drive shaft. The only difference with the Viper T-56 as compared to the 03 is the gear ratios. PST should already have the dimensions for an 03.

2JZFAN

Established Member
That's what I thought, I was told that the dimensions of the T56 are different from the ford model to the Dodge. I was told this by D&D themselves..:shrug:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
2JZFAN: I was just wondering why the Viper T56? I think with our cars (especially w/ the 3.73s you listed) something like the '03 Cobra trans would work better, and cheaper too. Everything else on your list sounded good, but even though the Viper is much stronger, I think the '03 trans would be fine for anything you'd want to do, especially if your keeping the IRS.
Remember, they have an extremely tall first gear. I think a 3.73 w/ that 1st gear would be boring.
Also, quicksnake, there are other differences other than the gear ratios.
I believe someone on here (bluestripe?) has done this and could offer info.
Good luck on the swap. -James

2JZFAN

Established Member
I thought about it and I can get an OEM T56 for a great price... but I plan on adding a Novi 2000 to the car and a forged bottom. Hence the 3.73 gear and Viper transmission. I'm really bothered by this driveshaft issue but thanks for the heads up and the kind words. Since I won't be adding the Novi for atleast 4 months I may even go with a 4.10 gear in the car as is..

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
As mentioned above, the driveshaft length should be the same as the '03 Cobra. I know how it is dealing with some aftermarket companies, so just let them think its for an '03 Cobra. However, the output splines may be bigger on the Viper-spec, so that would influence the shaft. Either way, I think the PST unit is the way to go if its only $100 more than the aluminum. I'd call them and tell them your situation. They shouldn't have a problem making a shaft for you ('03 Cobra specs w/ Viper output splines).
Also, with the Novi and the Viper T56, I think you'd want 4.10s at least and either 4.30s or 4.56s ideal. Remember the Viper has a steep first and .05 6th, so the big gear is the way to go, especially with a 7000rpm motor. Still, I'd vote for the '03 trans w/ a 4.10 and Novi. The '03 trans should be all you need with the IRS and blower, and you can put some of the saved money toward the blower. Later, James

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
A friend of mine has this swap(99 cobra,irs,viper spec tranny w/ 4.10's, bolton n/a application) and I do recall that he needed a custom driveshaft either the viper piece is a bit longer, or it has to be set back farther than the ford piece, and hence the need for the custom. He did all his parting through D&D though. I would also think PST would be able to get the dimensions, i mean they are in the driveshaft business. He uses a spec II clutch however, (with an aluminum flywheel), and he highly recomends it, moderate pedal pressure, and awesome grip. Just another option.

BlueStripe

Bad Ass with Class
Established Member
Originally posted by biminiLX
2JZFAN: I was just wondering why the Viper T56?

You answered your own question ;-) See below...

Also, quicksnake, there are other differences other than the gear ratios.

Kevlar synchros, 26-spline input shaft, steel shift forks. The tranny is bullet proof.

I believe someone on here (bluestripe?) has done this and could offer info.

How sweet of you to remember :-D

What kind of measurements do you need, just diameter and length? I'll see what I can do about taking it to my friend's shop next week and putting it up on a lift to get the numbers for you. I'd do it myself, but I don't see myself getting acurate figures lying down on a frozen concrete floor *shiver*

Last edited:

2JZFAN

Established Member
My man! Thanks for the helping hand. We've spoken before about the transmission. I really appreciate it, I'm sure we just need length.. the PST may differ in diameter to composite. Take your time, no rush, I've waited this long.. for a kind person I'll wait as long as necessary. I'll contact PST tomorrow and ask about the measurements necessary.. I've spoken to them before about this. Thanks again! :beer:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I can say this... I have both and the Viper shifts smoother. I'm not sure why. The Cobra is much more notchy for some reason.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
LOL, the forum had it linked on the bottom in "similar threads", never looked at the year.

Users who are viewing this thread