D Spec Adjustment

Blackmax

Established Member
I got my new D Specs and nothing else in the box other than shock and one warranty sheet. No instructions or adjustment tool. There is a cap at the top that unscrews and that's it. I searched and everything pointed to a tool, does anyone know about these?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mine came with an adjustment tool, like this one:
http://www.carid.com/tokico/hts-dspec-adjuster-key-chain-mpn-to00101.html

But for the rears I bought a set of extended adjusters like these ones:
http://www.stangmods.com/Mustang-Tokico-DSpec-Shock-Adjuster-p/00376.htm

the extended adjusters allow you to put the factory interior panels back into the trunk and don't force you to perform human origami to get in there to adjust them. It's hard to make accurate, repeatable adjustments with a regular allen wrench since there's no indication to show the starting point.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
Mine came with an adjustment tool, like this one:
http://www.carid.com/tokico/hts-dspec-adjuster-key-chain-mpn-to00101.html

But for the rears I bought a set of extended adjusters like these ones:
http://www.stangmods.com/Mustang-Tokico-DSpec-Shock-Adjuster-p/00376.htm

the extended adjusters allow you to put the factory interior panels back into the trunk and don't force you to perform human origami to get in there to adjust them. It's hard to make accurate, repeatable adjustments with a regular allen wrench since there's no indication to show the starting point.

Well I'm not happy about not getting the tool or any instructions, I did remove the cap and used an allen key to adjust but the screw is very loose .Just doesn't seem right and I would think the screw would back out or tighten with vibration.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Mine has never really backed out on its own. Did you buy them new from an authorized dealer? I would contact Tokico and let them know you didn't get the adjuster or instructions.

Blackmax

Established Member
Mine has never really backed out on its own. Did you buy them new from an authorized dealer? I would contact Tokico and let them know you didn't get the adjuster or instructions.

I bought them from Late Model Restoration, I heard that Tokico has discontinued the D Spec so not sure if that has something to do with it. I adjusted the screw from full loose to full tight and there does not seem to be any difference when compressing by hand, my Strange struts and Viking rears you can bearly compress when full tight. I'll be calling and asking for sure.

I found the tool on their site and it says "if you lost your tool" then their is a note saying individual struts and shocks no longer come with tool. https://lmr.com/item/TOK-00101/tokico-d-spec-adjustment-tool-7915

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I never really noticed much of a difference with mine to be honest, but then again I rarely get to the track never run real tires so who knows what they'd do in the right conditions. I planned on going to Viking rears eventually, but since they ride nice and handle nice, I'll keep them until I have a reason to do otherwise.

Blackmax

Established Member
I never really noticed much of a difference with mine to be honest, but then again I rarely get to the track never run real tires so who knows what they'd do in the right conditions. I planned on going to Viking rears eventually, but since they ride nice and handle nice, I'll keep them until I have a reason to do otherwise.

One of the best purchases I have made are the double adjustable Viking rears. You can really feel the quality and do they ever work on the car. They come with a complete set of instructions including settings for different racing and h.p. levels.

Blackmax

Established Member
I wonder if the Tokico works different than the Strange. I can take my Strange right now and tighten the rebound and barely extend it by hand. The new Tokico does not change that I can notice when tightened.

BMR Tech

First I would ask, why did you go with Tokico Struts? Not that they are bad, but they are not going to be any improvement over the Strange Struts. As a matter of fact, the Rebound is really all you need for your car...in which the Strange Rebound adjustments are far superior to the Tokico.

As for the way that the Tokicos work, they are single adjustable - BUT, they are suppose to adjust (softer, stiffer) the R and C simultaneously. So if you stiffen them, the Rebound and Compression should both stiffen up.

This may be why you do not notice the R adjustment as much, because they are not a true single adjustable strut.

Blackmax

Established Member
First I would ask, why did you go with Tokico Struts? Not that they are bad, but they are not going to be any improvement over the Strange Struts. As a matter of fact, the Rebound is really all you need for your car...in which the Strange Rebound adjustments are far superior to the Tokico.

As for the way that the Tokicos work, they are single adjustable - BUT, they are suppose to adjust (softer, stiffer) the R and C simultaneously. So if you stiffen them, the Rebound and Compression should both stiffen up.

This may be why you do not notice the R adjustment as much, because they are not a true single adjustable strut.

I listened to someone that told me they are superior to Strange in compression . I was hoping to get rid of some nose dive.

fullboogie

Established Member
There are countless S197 cars running around on D Specs with happy owners. They're a good setup. It's normal for the adjustment screw to be very easy to turn, so don't worry about that. If I recall correctly, I have mine set at 5 in the front and 7 in the back.

BMR Tech

Well yes, they are going to be better for compression.

That is right, I do recall your front diving pretty hard now that I think about it.

Keep us updated on how it works.

Blackmax

Established Member

There are countless S197 cars running around on D Specs with happy owners. They're a good setup. It's normal for the adjustment screw to be very easy to turn, so don't worry about that. If I recall correctly, I have mine set at 5 in the front and 7 in the back.

Yes and I was told the first Cobra Jets used them. I did get sent a link to instructions by LMR which are detailed. No idea why Tokico would not include instructions or at least the Allen key to adjust. With the new hood, blower and cooler up front I have added a lot of weight plus my motor is iron block.

BMR Tech

The Cobra jets used a Tokico, yes.

They were not the DSP12, or traditional Tokicos.

Nonetheless, I can't wait to see what happens.

Good luck!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I did notice that adjustments seem to be global, in that when you adjust them to firm, they are VERY firm on both rebound and compression. When you adjust them to full soft, they are VERY soft in that they seem to float and are slow to respond to steering input.
I didn't mean to insinuate that the D-specs are somehow no good, or that their adjust-ability is not a valuable or actionable feature, I was simply saying that I probably don't use them to their full potential because I don't really drive my car in the situations that would put them to the test. They handle great on the street though and I'm confident that if I had the time to screw with them, they'd work just fine on the track with the right tires. I am happy with them though.

Blackmax

Established Member
yep
we did have a setting for the street and one for track, working pretty good for both applications

I'll be interested to see how they perform compared to the Strange, the Strange sell for $139.00 and the Tokico $229.00 a $90.00 difference per strut. As I said I was hoping to get a stronger compression and was told it was a superior shock. A set of QA1 Double adjustable strut coil overs would cost me over $2,000 and I heard poor reviews. LMR should have a link to the instructions if they can't include them with the struts. Here is the link for instruction manual and other info that might be helpful,

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/instructions/d-spec-install.pdf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread