Daily Driver Suggestions

zsommer79

Established Member
Wanting to get a daily to keep the miles off my Raptor and GT500, and asking for suggestions. Looking to spend around 8-10k, must have a manual transmission, and be fun to drive. Commute is 50 miles round trip daily.

Was kicking around a 1995-96 300zx because I have always wanted one but not sure a 20 year car is the best idea and looks like most of them have been beat to hell.

HandBanana

Established Member
06+ Civic Si sedan. Most fun DD in that price range that will be reliable, get decent mpg and have a reasonable amount of amenities.

Jaysin

Established Member
If comfort isn't a necessity and fun is what you're looking for, the Neon srt4 is a good option. Owned one for about 5 yrs and was one of the funnest cars I've had. Dirt cheap now too.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I agree with a '06+ Si (coupe OR sedan) or a SRT-4. I'm pretty sure you can find higher mileage '05-10 GTs (well, more like '05-08ish) for that price as well. Heck, even a LS1 Camaro/Trans Am/GTO.

zsommer79

Established Member
I agree with a '06+ Si (coupe OR sedan) or a SRT-4. I'm pretty sure you can find higher mileage '05-10 GTs (well, more like '05-08ish) for that price as well. Heck, even a LS1 Camaro/Trans Am/GTO.

Might look into a Civic Si. Not big on Neons and think that I will stay away from higher mileage V8s.

Any opinions on a Lexus IS 250?

8gtoklr

Established Member
Fiat 500 sport 2012 or mini cooper 03-08.

Im in a fiat im getting 29.2 and drive 50 per day, I have leather, heated seats, hands free, cd & ipod and under the 10k mark!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
300zx is a terrible choice for a reliable DD, youd be better off with a 2gb DSM lol.

I second the NSRT4. Great car, great potential if you wanted but still quick out of the box, very reliable when not extremely modded or beat on.

Stateguy

Established Member
Hard to find but would fit the bill acura tl with the 6 speed manual. Faster and more comfortable than the si and decent mileage with similar maintenance.

zsommer79

Established Member
300zx is a terrible choice for a reliable DD, youd be better off with a 2gb DSM lol.

I second the NSRT4. Great car, great potential if you wanted but still quick out of the box, very reliable when not extremely modded or beat on.

Yeah the 300zx was just a tangent I went off on before I came back to reality.

Kind of surprised by how much love the SRT Neon is getting, I kind of just taught they would be unreliable.

zsommer79

Established Member
Hard to find but would fit the bill acura tl with the 6 speed manual. Faster and more comfortable than the si and decent mileage with similar maintenance.

Found a guy that has one just a few miles from my house but this in his description kind of scares me away, "valves reseated, heads milled, valves adjusted, timing belt and brakes all done at 152k."

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree with Civic Si Sedan. The problem with the SRT4 Neon is manual rear windows. WTF? Mazdaspeed Protege, Integra GSR Sedan, Focus SVT, Contour SVT, 04-05 Jetta GLI 1.8T.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

of all the cars mentioned the GTO is by far the better vehicle. Maybe not the fastest, but comfort/ergonomics way ahead of any mustang until the S550.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Agree with Civic Si Sedan. The problem with the SRT4 Neon is manual rear windows. WTF? Mazdaspeed Protege, Integra GSR Sedan, Focus SVT, Contour SVT, 04-05 Jetta GLI 1.8T.

Stay away from ContourSVT's. Dash board coming loose, under hood wiring insulation....They are just not a reliable car.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Found a guy that has one just a few miles from my house but this in his description kind of scares me away, "valves reseated, heads milled, valves adjusted, timing belt and brakes all done at 152k."

Why? Honduh motors have timing belts and tensioners that need replacement. Not sure about the valves but you probably have to mill the deck to ensure proper head gasket fitment if you have to take the head off to do the valve job.

Kind of surprised by how much love the SRT Neon is getting, I kind of just taught they would be unreliable.

The problem with the SRT4 Neon is manual rear windows. WTF?

They're great cars for what they are. Just dont expect much more than a Neon inside and out. The viper-esque seats are awesome in those as well.

Id say up until the focus/fiesta ST's the NSRT4 was the quintessential fwd turbo 4cyl out there for being both reliable and having potential. Some might say the Mazdas but they always looked like they had downs syndrome, VW's offerings are not bad but not nearly the potential the 2.4L in the SRT4 has for the price you can mod it for.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
You could pick up a E46 3 series with a manual in that price range. A GTO wouldn't be a bad idea either, LS1 cars should fall into that 10 grand price range.

zsommer79

Established Member
Id say up until the focus/fiesta ST's the NSRT4 was the quintessential fwd turbo 4cyl out there for being both reliable and having potential.

You bringing up the Focus ST is like salt in a wound. I originally wanted to just buy a new one but I couldn't get my wife to agree to it since she can't drive stick and taught I was just trying to buy another toy.

HandBanana

Established Member
Why? Honduh motors have timing belts and tensioners that need replacement. Not sure about the valves but you probably have to mill the deck to ensure proper head gasket fitment if you have to take the head off to do the valve job.

They're great cars for what they are. Just dont expect much more than a Neon inside and out. The viper-esque seats are awesome in those as well.

Id say up until the focus/fiesta ST's the NSRT4 was the quintessential fwd turbo 4cyl out there for being both reliable and having potential. Some might say the Mazdas but they always looked like they had downs syndrome, VW's offerings are not bad but not nearly the potential the 2.4L in the SRT4 has for the price you can mod it for.

We don't really know yet how reliable the F ST cars are yet, give them a full 5 years of being out in the market before we level a reliability decision on them. My nephew has a Focus ST and he has been to the Ford dealer quite often for a wiring harness issue which he says a lot of guys have been having. With the amount of boost they run from the facotry, especially on the Fiestas, I wonder how the internals and turbos will hold up.

I have had 2 N SRT-4s and they were both overall more fun to drive than my Cobra. It's a hoonigan car, makes you want to do dumb stuff. But I didn't offer one as a suggestion because the mod bug has a way of biting you with those cars. My last one went from a DD to a 500whp Bullseye turbo car in 6 months. :D

zsommer79

Established Member
We don't really know yet how reliable the F ST cars are yet, give them a full 5 years of being out in the market before we level a reliability decision on them. My nephew has a Focus ST and he has been to the Ford dealer quite often for a wiring harness issue which he says a lot of guys have been having. With the amount of boost they run from the facotry, especially on the Fiestas, I wonder how the internals and turbos will hold up.

Yeah looking through the forums in seemed like the Focus has had a couple hit or miss issues. The other thing that put me off a little was the residuals with the lease offers were pretty low. I am not sure if it's because Ford doesn't think they will hold up well or people are going to be beat the living hell out of a boosted motor. Focus RS coming out probably doesn't help either.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

I have had 2 N SRT-4s and they were both overall more fun to drive than my Cobra. It's a hoonigan car, makes you want to do dumb stuff. But I didn't offer one as a suggestion because the mod bug has a way of biting you with those cars. My last one went from a DD to a 500whp Bullseye turbo car in 6 months. :D

Yeah, funny you mention the harness issue, the NSRT4 had similar with the one of the sensor leads (tps iirc) that were 1" too short so when the motor torqued in the engine bay it would tug and eventually cause them to pull out of the plug. I remember my buddy buying two plugs and making his own extension harness as it affected him as well. I believe similar is happening to a sensor but its limited to the FocusST's (though I havent perused their forums since I gave up on my ST search in January) and soon it will be a non-issue.

As for internals, if anything the ST's and up and coming RS will be fine with durability in stock to bolton/tune form. Look at what Ford did with their modulars in testing, 300hr torture test and whatnot, and that was back in the early 00's. I wouldnt worry about the motor blowing in a stock to bolton/tune application anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread