Daily Driver tire questions

Lord Warlock

Established Member
Over the past 18 months i've been nursing along a set of kumho Ecsta tires along, when i first got the car, the tires were new, and the car hydroplaned dangerously during a heavy rainstorm, I decided then i wanted to replace the tires but financially decided to wait, later that year, the rear left side tire got punctured and i drove it on the flat tire a bit further than i would have if i'd noticed it immediately, the side wall got chewed up. Now, after 18 months of occasional use with the car, I'm going back to daily driving to work, and need new tires.

I live in North East Florida, it rains alot here, especially in spring and summer. Sometimes hard. Commute to work is in heavy traffic, Drag radials are out of the question. I've used Nitto 555s on my other sports car for years and like them, but need input on others. Yes i've searched threads and read alot before posting this. Which tires are best in dry/wet conditions, and what size is recommended? The car only occasionally sees a quick launch and run thru 3rd, rarely if ever goes over 120mph. The car sees no track time. It has the factory 17 inch chrome wheels. I prefer the look of wide rears and narrower fronts, but this combo makes rotation almost impossible. Are Nitto 555s in the 275 width narrower than BFG's? Is there any point to putting the Nitto 285s in back? I see little gain traction wise over a 275 and losing the ability to rotate all 4 tires isn't worth it if the tires in back aren't wide enough to look good. Is there a problem in going to a 245 size in the front and 285 in back? It seems the front tires don't turn as sharp as my 2000GT did due to the wider fronts.

Given the fact i'm keeping the chrome 17 inch rims, and driving in rain/dry/congestion traffic situations daily, what tires would be best? 295s, 285s, 275s, or combo of 245/295, 245/285, has anyone gone to skinnier fronts? Anyone got pics of what it looks like? I'd appreciate quick input as i'd like to order and get these tires installed in the next 4 to 5 days. I'll keep searching but appreciate any input. Thanks alot.

Lord Warlock
2004 Cobra

Last edited:

MustangThief

Established Member
The Nittos are good tires.

Hell, contrary to what some people say, I ran 555R's on my GT for years, as a daily driver, through heavy rain and everything else. It even saw a few drives in the snow on the 555R's, and with a cautious foot, you're fine...

If you're worried about it, why not just slap some 555's all the way around?

I'd just go 275/40/17 all the way around, 555's, so you can rotate when needed, and still have a good, sticky, well-known tire to have supporting your cobra.

Fat-cat

Established Member
+1 for the nittos i run the dr's out back and the 555's up front awsome in the rain when they have tread,, even in standing water the hold right threw it real well. Also they got some good bits and nice tread pattern so they hook and look good

PERCULATOR

Banned
NOW THATS PERSONAL GUY, U DONT MIND IF I CALL U GU
I couldnt believe the price I was able to get mine for recently. I bought a set of 4 BF Goodrich G-Force Sports size 275/40/17 for only $145 per tire. I couldnt believe no wider than they are, the complete elimination of my wheel hop. Given, the only mods are, cold air, pulley/tune, and cat back. Also the tread looks pretty mean. I think they are excellent daily drivers for a cheaper than most price. I got think at a local Merchant's tire.

Lord Warlock

Established Member
As bad as the kumhos i have seem to be in the rain, I've only had it hop on me once. Judicious slipping of the clutch can pretty much control hop and spin. Whats the opinion of Goodyear F1 GS D3? Had someone else recommend those but they're 60 bucks more than the nittos are. Nittos are limited in sizes here, and have to be special ordered at two different tire dealers nearby. I can get 275s pretty quick, they indicated there are 285s in stock but i'm not sure if they are 17s or 18s. I'll have to ask tomorrow.

Are the BFG's avail in 295 or only 285? It appears my rears have to be changed immediately, the fronts will wait, if that is the case i'll probably opt to go for mismatched rear/fronts, if i was going to buy all 4, i'd get matching sized tires all around.

LW

prttyboyfloyd

Established Member
ive always been a fan of michelin....there god damn expensive....but the pilot sport a/s is supposed to be awsome. im tossed between those and the crazy yokohama with the y shaped tread, i think there the avs sports? ill be getting either of those when i do my tires

hoofbeat

Established Member
:beer Go to discount tires website and look at Goodyear gs d3 and bfg kdw 11. There is a number of driver posts on how they like or disliked the tire. I,ve tried Goodyear f1s , BFG g force t/a and BFG kdw 11. The BFG kdw 11 is whats on the car now ,can,t believe how well they grip in dry or wet conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread