Daily Driver Tires

blcoonrod

Established Member
Hi all, this is my first post here. Long time lurker and seems to be a intelligent crowd.

I have 13/14 Gt500 SVTPP take off wheels and tires on my 2014 GT. I have got a round 17K on them and the rears are getting pretty thin. I have been reading until my eyes are blurry about which tires I should choose. Currently I have 285-35-20 rears and 265-40-19 fronts. But due to limited selection in those sizes I am probably going to down size to a 275 and 255. Will I still get a decent rim guard with those sizes? And for the main question, what tires do yall recommend. I would like to keep the set under or around 1K. I don't do much racing of any type but I am a spirited driver. My first choice would be Michelin Pilot SS. But they are $400+ a tire. I have about made my mind up to go with Continental Extreme Contact DW. What is everyone's opinion on them? Or maybe I should ask what compares to them in the same price range. They run around $230 a tire.

mattaglover

2011 5.0
Established Member
I have had the michelin ss and the continental dw. The michelin was the better of the two. Today i had cooper rs3A the all season put on. They were just under 200 a tire and from first impressions seem to be a great daily driver spirited tire. Stiff side walls and alot of dry grip and should last a bit longer.

Last edited:

blcoonrod

Established Member
Yea I have considered those also. I believe they come factory on the roush packages. I also have a local shop that deals cooper that recommends them. How many miles did you get out of your Dw's?

08mojo

Established Member
I've always had good luck with Nitto 555. They come in a 285/30/20 and a 275/35/19.

Forgot to add: they're inexpensive and have a good wear rating (300).

Last edited:

blcoonrod

Established Member
Ended up going with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They should be in tomorrow. I was dead set on getting the Extremecontact DW, but the rears are backordered from the factory. Then priced out and almost pulled the trigger on Bridgestone Potenza S04's. Was searching Discount tire and noticed they have $70 off 4 Michelins, and $60 off if you use there credit card. Found the best prices online and had them price match. I went with 285/35ZR20's and 255/40ZR19's. Ended up after tax and mounting/balancing OTD for $1346 with $130 worth of rebates, so ended up paying $1216. The DW's were going to be $1064 and the S04's $1096. With everything I have read the Michelins should be worth the extra few bucks.

Rct851

Established Member
Good work. Always amazed when people eeeek their checkbooks for a sports car, spend tons of cashing modding, then rationalize why to put on a cheap tire

08mojo

Established Member
Good work. Always amazed when people eeeek their checkbooks for a sports car, spend tons of cashing modding, then rationalize why to put on a cheap tire

Probably because I beat the shit out of the tires on my car. If I spend $1350 on a consumable part, the tires, I'm not going to have as much fun with the car.

blcoonrod

Established Member
After getting my Michelin pilot SS installed today, I would highly recommend them. Absolutely no tramlining like I had with my f1's. Not much road noise and handle great. Like I said before had the dw's been in stock I would have got them. after rebates I got the Michelin' s for $1170. Otd mounted and balanced. The dw's were going to be $1064. I am pretty sure the Michelin's are $100 better.

Last edited:

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Michelin PSS are definitely the best but if you're on a budget, Toyo Proxes 4 Plus or Nitto 555. I'm running the Toyos and they're great for DD and most spirited driving.

Users who are viewing this thread