DAMN IT! Tranny probs!

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Freakin', freak, freak, freak!!!! Frakin damn it!!

The 4R100 in my wife's Excursion went south tonight.
nonono.gif

I'm so damn tapped out because I had to buy a new engine for the L, that my savings went by-by!

I may have to sell the polished KB 2.6 I picked up a few months back, to finance the tranny replacement for the Excursion.

Arghghghghg! Aint life fun??

Heh, oh well, praise God anyway!!

Stewart :)

denali_on_26's

I have a traction problem
Established Member
i have one that i pulled out of my 02 L it worked fine to me but then the torque converter locked up so i took it tranny shop and they told me it was also slipping in o/d but i never noticed it but anyway i bought a new one..... what i'm getting to is if you pay shipping you can have it and we will just work something out later like after christmas time if the tranny is good that way you can keep the KB!!! pm me if you want

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
what i'm getting to is if you pay shipping you can have it and we will just work something out later like after christmas time if the tranny is good that way you can keep the KB!!! pm me if you want

Thanks bro, that's a GENEROUS offer, but the PSD 4R100's have a different mounting case when compared to the Lightning 4R100's.

Stewart

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Stan, here's what happened:

I was heading home from my moms house tonight. After turning left at a stop light, the freeway onramp in front of me is a long, flat, straight two lane roadway heading south out of town, which eventually becomes Highway 1. It actually looks like a freaking 1/4 mile track with a slight uphill incline.

Anyway, I'm the only vehicle waiting at the signal light when it turns green, and like always, I let the 'ol gal stretch her legs.

What happened next freaked me out.

Just as the RPM's hit the sweet part of the power band, the truck falls over on its face HARD. Not like a defuel, but I mean...well...it's like this, remember when all y'alls were kids and you're about to race another kid on your bike? You guys remember, right? You have that right side pedal in the perfect position ready for the downstroke, left leg holding yourself up, ready to push off, and when someone yells "go", you stand with all your weight on that right foot, pushing down on that pedal with all your strength, then with your left, then the right again. You get about three good power strokes out, just really starting to build that speed up, when all of a sudden the chain comes off the sprocket on that fourth down-kick of the pedal. You crash down hard, free-spinning, suddenly your momentum seems to be nothing as you lurch forward over the handlebars.

That's what happened to me tonight.

However, after that event, the truck seemed to run fine on the freeway.

I get home and check things out, nothing out of the ordinary under the hood or under the truck. I run it for codes and get the standard P0478 exhaust backpressure code (common for modded PSD's), and also a P0541 manifold intake air heater code.

I clear the codes and take the rig back out for a spin again, and this time, in city driving, I can hear a high pitch, extremely low volume whine. Also, the tranny won't shift from first gear to second until I left off the accelerator, dropping the RPM's, then pushing back down on the go-pedal.

So I know the tranny has been affected somehow, I just don't know what went out. The shift solenoid? Converter affected? Pump?

I had an appointment for John Wood to replace my tranny a few months ago, but my wife convinced me to wait until next year to do the upgrade. Right after she convinced me to wait, my Lightning took a dump, so most of you guys know I opted for a second-hand, still brand new, Stage 4 Wicked Engine build from Woodbine Motorsports, so my savings is completely tapped out.

My first reaction of course is to just give my card number to JW and tell him to fix it, but the responsible side of me is telling me to sell the KB to help finance a new tranny from John Wood down in SoCal.

I thought I locked that responsible side of me away....

Oh well.

:D

Hey, praise God anyway!

Stewart

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Sorry to hear Stewart.

As for the bicycle story, I'd forgotten how much that used to hurt! LOL

Prayer will always show the way, your attitude is exemplery. Hopefully it's something simple and inexpensive. :beer:

BriteRed20s

Established Member
Well, you might want to pull the pan and look at the oil and check for nasties. No nasties, and the oil looks and smells OK then change the oil, and don't forget to PTL.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
stewart... might wanna look into the LFP rebuild kit which i think is like 600 bucks and like another 400 or so to have installed... it would be a cheaper route to go.

pretty sure the internal's of the dissel r100 is the same as ours...

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Stew,

Sorry to hear about the damage man. That really sucks.

Would this the right time to ask Larry about your roadtest in the Excursion awhile back?

FordFanStan

Established Member
Hey Stewart, your looking to spend some serious money if your going to JW. But now that you mention it...... haha...... if you decide on that let me know beforehand, I have something in mind :idea: ... Stan

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Stew,

Sorry to hear about the damage man. That really sucks.

Would this the right time to ask Larry about your roadtest in the Excursion awhile back?

Thanks Eric.

Yeah, ask Larry about the time I gave him a short ride on the Ex!

:D

Stewart

PS - Just lemme know, Stan. I leave Wednesday bro.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Wow, that's bad timing.

Atleast you'll have some built up stuff once you get everything straightened out.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Wow, that's bad timing.

Atleast you'll have some built up stuff once you get everything straightened out.

Yeah, going down to SoCal Wednesday evening next week. John Wood will do his magic all day Thursday and the rig will be right as rain.

Now, all I have to decide is whether I do the "responsible" thing and sell the 2.6 to fund the tranny, or go with the little kid inside me who's screaming to ignore Mr. Responsibility and put the JW tranny on my card!

:-D

Stewart

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Also, the tranny won't shift from first gear to second until I left off the accelerator, dropping the RPM's, then pushing back down on the go-pedal.

Stewart

Stew Call Dante... he can diagnois it ove rthe phone usually.. but it sounds like the same thing that happen to mine... Sprag is fried....

mine wouldnt shift until i let off it and then it would shift rather hard...

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Thanks Jay, but I could have the primary Ford engineer who created these 4R100's on the phone to diagnose what happened to my tranny, and it still wouldn't help or change what I have to do.

I had an appointment with John Wood back in August to replace my tranny, but a blown water pump on the Excursion derailed those plans. So I figured I'd just wait until the first of the year before replacing the tranny.

I didn't quite make it that far.

Oh well... :shrug:

Yeah, I'm keeping the KB Clint. I've had a couple people inquire about it when they learned I was thinking about selling it (strictly for financial reasons...well, ok, the 3.4 Whip did have a little to do with it! LOL) but I just can't seem to part with that beautiful supercharger! :D

With Christmas upon us, it's just a bad time to be soaking more into these vehicles. My Lightning is of course due to the addiction, my wife's Excursion is do to maintenance.

I need to hit the lottery!! :rockon:

Stewart

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread