Damn - Little brother just got turned down from SD Sheriff

King$nake

Banned
Basically my little brother (22) has been in Police Academy for a year and a half. He has taken this academy very seriously and has done everything he can to be the best student possible. He is currently one of the main leaders in the class and is by far the best shot with his Glock 22 (there are ex-Marines in the class as well).

Anyways, he has tried to be brutally honest on all of his applications regarding his background....even though many people in his class are admitedly lying about their drug abuse backgrounds.

I should note that even before the class started, he went to SD Sheriff and asked about his background and they told him to open-enroll himself through the Academy and then re-apply as a pre-service lateral.

Anyways, for example, when my brother was 19 he took some "supplements" with his friends that were thought to some muscle-building supplements. It ended up being some placebos that never worked so he never tried that stuff again. Anyways, he put it on his background packet.

Well today was the big interview with S.D. Sheriff, and he has been waiting months for today. He woke up early, got his suit on and made the drive down for the 8 AM Appt.

As he was pulling into the parking lot, he gets a phone from SD Sheriff saying that he was disqualified "due to steroid use".

Needless to say he turned around has been pretty bummed. I know their are alot of LEO's in this section of the forum and was wanting to know if you could give some advice on the situation

thanks
J

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Basically my little brother (22) has been in Police Academy for a year and a half. He has taken this academy very seriously and has done everything he can to be the best student possible. He is currently one of the main leaders in the class and is by far the best shot with his Glock 22 (there are ex-Marines in the class as well).

Anyways, he has tried to be brutally honest on all of his applications regarding his background....even though many people in his class are admitedly lying about their drug abuse backgrounds.

I should note that even before the class started, he went to SD Sheriff and asked about his background and they told him to open-enroll himself through the Academy and then re-apply as a pre-service lateral.

Anyways, for example, when my brother was 19 he took some "supplements" with his friends that were thought to some muscle-building supplements. It ended up being some placebos that never worked so he never tried that stuff again. Anyways, he put it on his background packet.

Well today was the big interview with S.D. Sheriff, and he has been waiting months for today. He woke up early, got his suit on and made the drive down for the 8 AM Appt.

As he was pulling into the parking lot, he gets a phone from SD Sheriff saying that he was disqualified "due to steroid use".

Needless to say he turned around has been pretty bummed. I know their are alot of LEO's in this section of the forum and was wanting to know if you could give some advice on the situation

thanks
J

First off, what police academy takes 18 months? You sure he isnt some community college police related program?

Second, he can try to challenge their ruling. But he took what he thought was an illicit drug and just because he didnt get the results he wanted, it still confirms for the agency that he is willing to take illegal drugs.

scorcher2005

USMC
Established Member
I used to smoke when i was younger up until about 17 years old. 21 and in the Marine Corps now. On my Marine Corps enlistment paper work, me and my recruiter put Marijuana 2 times for experimental use. If i were to apply for a police dept. when i get out of the Marines, should i just say i have never done it? Especially because its not like the enlistment paperwork is available to them.

King$nake

Banned
First off, what police academy takes 18 months? You sure he isnt some community college police related program?

Second, he can try to challenge their ruling. But he took what he thought was an illicit drug and just because he didnt get the results he wanted, it still confirms for the agency that he is willing to take illegal drugs.

FordSVTFan - He in a JC Police Academy/Program.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I used to smoke when i was younger up until about 17 years old. 21 and in the Marine Corps now. On my Marine Corps enlistment paper work, me and my recruiter put Marijuana 2 times for experimental use. If i were to apply for a police dept. when i get out of the Marines, should i just say i have never done it? Especially because its not like the enlistment paperwork is available to them.

Depending on the size of the agency, they can get the info. Additionally, if you are going to be polygraphed, it will come out.

Crazy Ray

Established Member

Tell them everything. You experimented with it and that just it. If you hold something back it will come out in the polygraph and you won't get hired. Tell the truth. Its a big thing in law enforcement.

AUSTINSCOBRA

Established Member
I was DQ'ed for not meeting the SFPD's standard for substance abuse. I gave an estimated number, but it's a little too much I guess. I was being honest! This is 3 weeks before the academy :( Then my background investigator advise me to re-apply.

Tell your brother to apply for SF Sheriff Department, they'll pick em up no problem. If he don't mind moving to the Bay Area.

Last edited:

CSD

Banned
thanks
J

Tell him to hold his head high and keep at it, never give up. Only the mentally strong survive, if you want something bad enough you'll find ways to overcome hurdles in your life. I wish him the best of luck.

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member

Be honest about it. If not it will come out in the wash. It's not a good idea to start your career off lying to your employer.

To the OP, My thoughts are that he was honest and it sucks, but he should probably apply for another agency. Some agencies aren't as tolerant of past drug use. Tell him to keep trying.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
Getting hired for the first time is probably the hardest aspect of getting into law enforcement. Lots of people finish academys and never get hired. Tell him to keep trying and apply at several departments. He needs to be open with his employment and if he has to go to a smaller dept for a couple of years, then so be it. Sometimes starting in a smaller dept is good because you have to do more than you would if you had all of the resources that a larger agency has. Tell him to keep his head up and keep trying. and tell him good luck!

yellowbra

Established Member
wow they polygraph you to become a cop??? I was seriously thinking about becoming a cop but I guess I can pass on that now.

Mark

STR8JAKT

Tis but a Scratch
Established Member
Correct me if i am wrong, but not every department gives a polygraph? If so i know quite a few l.e.o.'s that must be masters of lying.

txyaloo

Established Member
Correct me if i am wrong, but not every department gives a polygraph? If so i know quite a few l.e.o.'s that must be masters of lying.

I know of several in this area that do not administer a poly.

King$nake

Banned
Yea......as far as I know regarding the Polygraph - they are looking for HONESTY. Just because you made poor choices in the past doesn't necessarily mean you won't get the job. I'm pretty sure that any hard drug use will probably exclude you though.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
going through the CHP application process right now, and I can tell you to just be honest about everything.

They will never get the perfect person/canidate for the job. If you try to hide something, they will find out!!

some agencies use the voice stress analysis test... supposedly just as accurate as a polograph

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread