Damn. Think I blew my clutch...

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
Well my '12 GT has slightly over 4,200 miles on it, so it's far from a DD. That said, when I drive it I DRIVE it. Car has only seen one drag strip pass but I've had my fair share of stoplight to stoplight launches for fun.

Last time I drove it I power shifted from 1-2-3 on a nice cool day just to blow out the cobwebs. After I came to the next light I noticed a slight shudder as I let out the clutch in 1st gear... Almost as if I was a rookie driver and nearly stalled the car. I wasn't sure what it was and was almost home so I parked the car for a couple days. Hopped in it yesterday to drive to the gym and again felt the same shudder in 1st and reverse. Had my dad hop in the driver's seat (oilfield mechanic for 30+ years) and right away he knew it was the pressure plate.

So... What should I do? Car has intake/tune and an MGW on it. Would be a real PITA to switch out the MGW for the factory shifter and take the car to the dealer. Then they might not even replace the factory clutch. Should I man up and get an aftermarket clutch/flywheel combo and call it a day? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

/end rant.

Sent from the depths of hell using Tapatalk

TRDon

Established Member
If you takemt in the worst they can do is deny warranty. Why not at least try?

Nuar

Established Member
That blows man :/
I would just get an aftermarket clutch. Just think of it as another mod :p

Nuar

Established Member
Then again only 4200 miles. Might be worth bringing it to the dealership. I dont care how you drive, that clutch should be barely broken in.

gatty1303

Established Member
Not that this is very constructive, and it will not help your clutch, but you can't expect to be "powershifting" and not expect exponential wear on your clutch and transmission. Situation sucks but these things do break when not driven correctly. Go aftermarket and maybe it will last longer

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Do you think the clutch is defective or is it just your driving Style? If its defective have ford replace it. If its your driving style upgrade to a heavier clutch!

5lho

Established Member
Warranty on wear items like the clutch and brake pads is 12 months so, I think yer outta luck by the letter of the law.

However "defective" clutch? C'mon, the OP admits to powershifting, which is brutal on clutch and trans and the fact that 4200 miles have basically passed 1/4 mile at a time and now there are suggesting it's Ford's fault and they should pay? I'm not sympathetic to big corporate much but if we were talking about two individuals in trade most people wouldn't even conceive of asking for this. You really should take responsibility and, ultimately, get a clutch that can handle this better.

Here's something you can do for now, OP, old mechanic's trick. Since you might have just glazed up the PP and or disc, put the car in gear and let the clutch halfway out and drive the car forward slowly for a block or so, sliding the clutch. This'll break the glaze on the cluch and may give you your pedal back.

CobraHuck

Established Member
My car did the same thing about 2 weeks ago, was getting on it (not powershifting tho, cuz I still have the stock shifter) on a back road. When I came to the end and turned left, I was just being easy getting into traffic and when I went to second the pedal stuck to the floor for a split second and after that it did the same thing you're experiencing in 1st and reverse. I was convinced it was the clutch going out.

I took it to the dealer (I'm at 23.5k miles) and told them about the issue (not about how I was driving tho lol) and told them to also please check on the TSB about changing out the trans fluid to their QDC stuff. Only took them 2 days and all they did that I'm aware of is change the fluid. Trans shifts smoother than butter now and the chatter/shutter is completely gone and the clutch feels great.

Fun4me

Established Member
My car did the same thing about 2 weeks ago, was getting on it (not powershifting tho, cuz I still have the stock shifter) on a back road. When I came to the end and turned left, I was just being easy getting into traffic and when I went to second the pedal stuck to the floor for a split second and after that it did the same thing you're experiencing in 1st and reverse. I was convinced it was the clutch going out.

I took it to the dealer (I'm at 23.5k miles) and told them about the issue (not about how I was driving tho lol) and told them to also please check on the TSB about changing out the trans fluid to their QDC stuff. Only took them 2 days and all they did that I'm aware of is change the fluid. Trans shifts smoother than butter now and the chatter/shutter is completely gone and the clutch feels great.

The early build '12s had the crap fluid, right? Later '12s got the better stuff from the factory?

OP, whats your build date?

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Not that this is very constructive, and it will not help your clutch, but you can't expect to be "powershifting" and not expect exponential wear on your clutch and transmission. Situation sucks but these things do break when not driven correctly. Go aftermarket and maybe it will last longer

I agree. If you abuse the car, you have to expect parts are going to get considerable wear. Blaming the parts is a cop out when you drive really aggressively.

Nuar

Established Member
I agree. If you abuse the car, you have to expect parts are going to get considerable wear. Blaming the parts is a cop out when you drive really aggressively.

You would have to abusse the piss out of a car to kill a clutch in 4200 miles guys. Lets be real here, something is not right.

five0three

big deal
Established Member

your trans fluid has nothing to do with your clutch...

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
You would have to abusse the piss out of a car to kill a clutch in 4200 miles guys. Lets be real here, something is not right.

In 4200 miles, you think it's the first time it's been powershifted? I think not. Stock parts aren't designed for that much abuse. You have to expect something is going to give at some point.

5lho

Established Member
Let's be real? I can blow a clutch in a 1/4 mile if that's my intention. He is "abusing the piss" out of his car, by his own admission.

None of the factory trans fluid is crap. Both are all synthetic and made from high grade base stocks. 11s and Job one (for sure) and two '12s may have the thicker QS fluid in them which can lead to cold-shifting issues. The QDC fluid replacing the QS is much lighter weight, more like a 20 weight oil and is massively better in cooler climates for smooth shifting.

Last edited:

gatty1303

Established Member
Let's be real? I can blow a clutch in a 1/4 mile if that's my intention. He is "abusing the piss" out of his car, by his own admission.

None of the factory trans fluid is crap. Both are all synthetic and made from high grade base stocks. 11s and Job one (for sure) and two '12s may have the thicker QS fluid in them which can lead to cold-shifting issues. The QDC fluid replacing the QS is much lighter weight, more like a 20 weight oil and is massively better in cooler climates for smooth shifting.

You can blow ur clutch out sitting still. Remember the guy in the Vette that thinks he's doing a burnout, but the rear tires aren't even moving hahaha

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Buy a faceplated trans if you want to flat foot shift

You don't need a faceplated trans to powershift. These trannies go into gear just fine at high rpm, these aren't T5s or TKOs.

I have plenty of powershifts on my trans and clutch and I have 36,000 miles on my car. I also have over 50 full on passes at the track with Shaun's drag tune loaded up, catching rubber the whole way down the track. My clutch is still fine.

It does not sound like abuse to me, unless you are just not disengaging the clutch enough.

Mike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread