Damn you leaking A/C!!!

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Well, the good news is that my nasty exhaust leak isn't at the manifold, and it isn't a blown head gasket (whew).

The bad news is that my aluminized Bassani X-pipe is trashed. Evidentially this is all due to the leaking A/C. Pics below...

Hole&O2.jpg

http://killabyte.no-ip.com:8080/images/03damage/exhaust/O2.jpg
http://killabyte.no-ip.com:8080/images/03damage/exhaust/Hole-01.jpg
http://killabyte.no-ip.com:8080/images/03damage/exhaust/Hole-02.jpg

Looks like i'll be ordering that stainless steel MRT O/R H-pipe... stay tuned!

Last edited:

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
How the hell would the leaking A/C cause the bung and material around the pipe to rip out????? I have never seen anything like that...

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
take a hot pan that you just cooked something on and put it in a sink full of cold water. does it crack?

basically the same effect here. cold A/C dripping on a hot pipe over time caused it to weaken and eventually crack.

i'll be going with stainless steel piping this time around, and am going to reroute that A/C drip as well.

all you guys with aluminized exhaust might want to watch out for this. if you hear a "drip, sizzle" after you turn your car off this could happen to you too! bought the car brand new. a year and a half and 30,000 miles later this happened. plus i live in FL and am ALWAYS blasting the A/C.

Last edited:

J15BIG

Established Member
there is always a little puddle under my car after i have been parked for a while. i think its just water. is this from the a/c??

earl lee

Established Member
Originally posted by J15BIG
there is always a little puddle under my car after i have been parked for a while. i think its just water. is this from the a/c??

if you have been driving around with the ac on, yes it was run off water from the ac. if you didnt see any water on the ground and u been driving around with the ac on, you might actually want to be worried because it could be a clogged drain, and that water could be draining to some place else (like the inside of your car).

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Always had the puddle, and it pools somewhere too since I leave a trail after driving off when it's been parked a while.
Never noticed it leaking on the exhaust...until reading this. Get home, poke my head under there, and sure enough, it's dripping on the stock cat, sizzling away. <shakes head>

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Always had the puddle, and it pools somewhere too since I leave a trail after driving off when it's been parked a while.
Never noticed it leaking on the exhaust...until reading this. Get home, poke my head under there, and sure enough, it's dripping on the stock cat, sizzling away. <shakes head>

Now to alleveate this try turning your a/c switch to off when parking the car. Mine does this in the garage but if I turn the switch off I get no spill. It is due to the vacuum switches being left open when you turn the car off without closing the ac/vent switch.

1/2 bent

Established Member
I'll have to watch out for this also i see. i just took my mrt catted h off this weekend to put on a prochamber and noticed the water lines on the passenger side right up by the 02 . That pipe is ss but the prochamber isnt. I dont hink ill have this prochamber on to long anyway as i cant get used to the raw fumes. People behind me must think wow nice car to bad it smell like an old work truck.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by stevieb
Now to alleveate this try turning your a/c switch to off when parking the car. Mine does this in the garage but if I turn the switch off I get no spill. It is due to the vacuum switches being left open when you turn the car off without closing the ac/vent switch.

It still drips the whole time you are driving around and sitting in traffic.

stevieb

Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
It still drips the whole time you are driving around and sitting in traffic.
The water is condensation from the evaporator. Most vehicles have a drain pan under the evap in the a/c compartment and there is a tube for the water to drain, usually beyond anything that can rust or become damaged. Then there must be a way to put a longer drain tube on. I cant believe Ford left this out, perhaps there was an assembly issue where the drain is blocked or pinched in a panel? And if no one checked this out on QC, they could almost all be botched up.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
The water is condensation from the evaporator. Most vehicles have a drain pan under the evap in the a/c compartment and there is a tube for the water to drain, usually beyond anything that can rust or become damaged. Then there must be a way to put a longer drain tube on. I cant believe Ford left this out, perhaps there was an assembly issue where the drain is blocked or pinched in a panel? And if no one checked this out on QC, they could almost all be botched up.

They all drip there. You can hear it in the garage every time.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member

I'm anal about switching off all accessories before turning of the car.:??: Really curious about where the water is pooling and sitting. Probably rusting something.:mj:

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
When you get everything off, can you post pics. I really do not think that is caused by the AC. It might crack but it shouldn't rip completly out like that.

Eric

stevieb

Established Member
Wow, I didnt see all the pics and the extent of the damage. I am going to have to agree with SVTcobra2001. It looks like you may have had a defective weld when the bungs were installed and with vibration and whatnot it started cracking around the weakest part (the weld) until it cameapart. Is the rest of your exhaust system tight? I would definately check the rest of the welds to see if theyre starting to crack also.
When there is a crack or movement of 2 metals (such as a crack or loose lug nuts)a telltale sign is rust stains. Look deeper.

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTCobra2001
When you get everything off, can you post pics. I really do not think that is caused by the AC. It might crack but it shouldn't rip completly out like that.

Eric

yes, more pics will follow when i get the MRT H pipe and take this X off.

BTW... a reputable, popular central FL mustang shop told me it was due to the A/C drip. :)

Users who are viewing this thread