Damnit...oil change question...

StoplightWarrior

Established Member
I was changing the oil on the cobras and I accidentally put a 7th quart into the 03. I checked the dipstick and it says it's just full (there's no oil past the top of the measuring bar)...please don't tell me I have to drain it all and put 6 in...Is 7 ok if the car *seems* to take all of it?

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
It actually takes 6-1/2 quarts so its probably OK. Personally, I would just drain 1/2 quart out if you are worried about it.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just install 6 quarts, and I am half way up on the stick.

brasil

Mordida Venenosa
Established Member
Do not put 7. Ford and SVT said that some of the dip sticks are not accurate. I would put no less than 6 quarts, but NO MORE than 6.5. 7 quarts is too much.

Cobra Nate

Banned
StoplightWarrior said:
I was changing the oil on the cobras and I accidentally put a 7th quart into the 03. I checked the dipstick and it says it's just full (there's no oil past the top of the measuring bar)...please don't tell me I have to drain it all and put 6 in...Is 7 ok if the car *seems* to take all of it?

Why would you drain it all? If ur worried, just loosen the drain bolt and let 1/2 quart drain out.

jpk

Established Member
Does anyone know if the dipsticks are really defective and if we can get replacements if they are? I've been putting in 6.25 to 6.5 quarts based on that damn thing despite the stated 6qt. capacity.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
svtcobra2k1 said:
Just a question but why does it say in the 01 cobra manaul to put 5 quarts of oil in, isnt it the same engine??????
It's a misprint in the manual. These blocks are rated for 6 qt. 6 1/2 seems to be best because while running, the heads hold a lot of oil. For this reason, you MUST wait 20 minutes or more after shutdown to check the oil (small passages take that long for the oil to drain back into the pan).

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
there are two things you have to worry about with an overfilled crankcase

1. windage - rope effect of the oil being flung off the crankshaft counterweights

2. rear main seal leakage

neither of these problems will occur in our cars if they are filled with 7 quarts. get over it.

Users who are viewing this thread