Dare I ask....160 thermosat..Yes or No

Johnny Vig

Addicted to Power!
Established Member
I know this topic has been kicked around for a long time, but after having my car tuned by Jon Lund he stated that I would really benefit by putting in a 160 thermostat in. I trust his advice but after seeing so many other forum members disagree on it I am still unsure of what I should do.

So MACA members I ask you for your opinions as well as any advice you may have. I assume the tune he gave me does kick on my fans sooner, which should work better with a 160 thermo. Thanks.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
I know Mike at HBH Performance said that the 160 is the way to go. He said that it makes a pretty big difference.

James at RWTD said he likes the Kenne Bell 180, it has a hole drilled in it to regulate coolant flow (haven't really looked to far into that)

Others said they just drill some small holes in the old stocker. I am not sure I like that idea.

Me, personally, I will try the 160 with the new motor and probably swap it out for the KB 180 just to see which works better. Pretty cheap part and not too bad to swap them out.

Keep us posted on your results.

TRBO VNM

go with the 160. I see a big difference in just the factory gauge. and as we discussed, drill out the beebee that comes in it.

if he didn't adjust the fans in your tune it is a quick thing he can do with the current tune and email it to you. that would be no charge at all as well.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
I had no idea people were changing tstats in our cars... Should I consider changing also? 160 as well? It looks like I have similar mods, but this is the first I've heard of it for these cars :shrug:

TRBO VNM

pj_rage said:
I had no idea people were changing tstats in our cars... Should I consider changing also? 160 as well? It looks like I have similar mods, but this is the first I've heard of it for these cars :shrug:

yeah, consider it. Many have and I have no clue why you wouldn't. We all know the coolant flow is poor in these heads and even with the cooling mod it could use some help. i don't see a problem with trying to keep the engine a little cooler. it isn't like it will be under 100 degrees. It will sit about 175 or so typical depending on the type of driving with the new stat and fans adjusted.

01satinsilver

Official NJ MACA Pimp
Established Member
Im about to do a coolant flush and I was gonna change the thermostat to a 160 but what should I set the low and high speed fans to? The XCAL2 gives me the ability to change it in minutes

TRBO VNM

01satinsilver said:
Im about to do a coolant flush and I was gonna change the thermostat to a 160 but what should I set the low and high speed fans to? The XCAL2 gives me the ability to change it in minutes

that I am unsure of. if jon tuned your car, just give him a ring and he can tell you. all I know is he did it in my tune, so I never asked.

Johnny Vig

Addicted to Power!
Established Member
If we scroll the tune via the SCT tuner won't it show what the current fan setting are that Job set or does it display something different? I am also curious if we do go in and change the fan settings via the sct tuner, will those new fan settings stay permanent in the custom tune that we are scrolling thru?

01satinsilver

Official NJ MACA Pimp
Established Member
Johnny Vig said:
If we scroll the tune via the SCT tuner won't it show what the current fan setting are that Job set or does it display something different? I am also curious if we do go in and change the fan settings via the sct tuner, will those new fan settings stay permanent in the custom tune that we are scrolling thru?

I was able to modify my custom tune and adjust the fan speed while keeping my tune. I already lowered mine as soon as it got warm to low speed 180 high speed 190. The low speed fan stays on almost all the time while driving cause I havent changed the tstat yet but my tune has remained in tact due to the fact I have 3.73's and the speedo is still right. My XCAL came from RWTD.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Can't believe I haven't heard of this for our cars :shrug:

Makes sense.

Had to put a cooler one in the pontiac when I changed the pulley, just never heard it mentioned for our cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread