Dash cam video of NCSHP crash...

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I don't know if any of you remember the photo I posted a few weeks ago regarding the NCSHP Trooper that was seriously injured after crashing at high speed in an attempt to stop someone. Well, the local station just did an interview with him and he is recovering nicely considering his injuries. The Patrol also provided them with the dash cam video for those who would like to see it.

Here's the link...

WRAL-TV link

The guy the trooper was chasing was stopped a week later by a Durham Police officer and was shot and killed when he became aggressive toward that officer. I guess some bad dudes are just destined to wind up in jail or the cemetery.

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
Glad to see he's ok. Thats crazy that that little tiny wooden pole caused his car to explode, I figured the Crown would just blow through that thing without a problem. Maybe he hit alot more things once the video cut out.

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Damn.. that pole was gone at the bottom.. It looked like he came over the hill and the car got sideways some and when he came down it all went wrong from there. Going fast on hilly roads is scary.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I'm not exactly sure what all he hit, but I think it was more than the pole. Judging from the pic, I remember it looked as if he hit the pole first, maybe struck a ditch embankment, and went backwards into something kinda hard, because the rear was heavily damaged as well. He definitely went for a ride and nearly went head-on into that large truck.
I'm not exactly sure about him describing a fire. The car didn't show any sign of fire damage. The rear (gas tank) didn't catch fire and the force of the impact tore the motor right out of the car. I suspect you might have had a bit of a smolder, but I don't recall any sign of fiery-type of explosion. The car did come apart on the front pretty bad but the passenger compartment held together pretty well. However, they showed a frontal view when they were pulling it out and you could actually see through the firewall.
Personally, I'm not really so sure what cars wouldn't have responded like that Vic did in that situation. He was rounding a slight curve to the right on a small incline and unfortuately the uneven portion of pavement was right there at the apex of the turn. At speed, the car lifted a bit and when he comes down, the rear looks like it side steps, the front end understeers and the vehicle shoots straight. He was off the road before he even had a chance to blink, let alone attempt to correct the car's path. I still feel that the Vic probably protected him better than most other vehicles would have, but there is obviously no evidence to suggest that. He can contribute his current health more to either being blessed or being lucky whichever you subscribe too.

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Here's the pic from a few weeks ago. That front end looks like more damage than just from the pole, because there is damage spread evenly across the front end. Maybe some of the resident LEOs on here can add some insight, but it looks like there was actually three collisions there. Two to the front and one to the rear.

7650910_400X300.jpg

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
*removed by moderator*

This is not smackdown. Please follow the rules!

Last edited by a moderator:

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
*removed by moderator*

This is not smackdown. Please follow the rules!

Last edited by a moderator:

azgardia

Wanderer
Established Member
Five4Rider said:
Apologies for you. I know what sarcasm is, it's just hard to pick it up when its non-evident in a comment.

Sorry, thought it was obvious. Car is a god damn tank, id buy one if it didnt use gas like one. :cryying:

Five4Rider

Enjoy The View
Established Member
azgardia said:
Sorry, thought it was obvious. Car is a god damn tank, id buy one if it didnt use gas like one. :cryying:
It's cool. :beer: I had to defend the Vic. (I'm ex-LEO, and my mom drives a '05 LX Sport). :rockon:

lthlsnake

U like spike strips? I do
Established Member
Damn he is very lucky. I wonder how fast he was going when he lost it? That car in the video is like a 03-up crown vic and they handle better than the older ones. My dept has alot of 02s and two 03s and they are like day and night differences.

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I think from what I remember, the trooper had said at one time that he thought he lost control doing about 90 mph...or either the accident investigator stated it. Either way, I think you can look at the road as he progresses and at that point, you can almost see the point at where the road veers slightly right at the top of that incline and factor in the broken pavement...its just a recipe for what happened.

The 03 and newer Crown Vics do handle a lot better than the 02 and older CVs, probably due mostly to the rack and pinion steering. The old recirculating ball felt numb and waaaay overboosted. Also consider the the much stiffer hydroformed frame and revised front suspension. When I test drove my CV, I was surprised at the improvements made since the last upgrade and the handling and power felt really good...almost comparable to the old 99 automatic GT I used to have prior to my last Cobra.

mvcrash

Established Member
There was more than one impact. The first impact can be seen in the video being over the left front of the car while it was in a yaw with the rear tracking outside the fronts to the right. If the car left critical speed yaw tire marks, they will get an exact average speed from the yaw marks.
If you look at the pic of the car, you notice the roof does not reveal any serious deformation, neither do the "a" pillars. Also you can see the left front fender was pulled back and to the left rear of the car while the right front fender was pulled to the right. It seems to me that the news indicated that the car hit a pole and a tree. I would guess that the car hit the pole over the left front and due to the yaw it went into a rapid counter clockwise rotation. The front, while rotating, hit a tree which pulled the engine and right front fender to the right and probably tore it from the car.
Now, this is just a WAG from a few pictures. (WAG=wild ass guess)

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
He try's to do his job and protect the public, and look what happens thanks to some idiot. I'm glad he is okay and recovering. Im also glad the person who caused the chase got what was coming to him.

Users who are viewing this thread