Dash cams

96dreamer

Established Member
Searched but only threads I could find were a few years old.

Who is running a dash cam and what do you recommend? Thinking about getting a nicer one for my truck and wife's car and maybe cheaper ones for the jeep and mustang that don't get driven as much. I'd prefer to hardwire it for as clean of an install as possible, rear facing is a plus, and a screen is un needed. I'm kind of picky and my biggest requirement is it is as unnoticeable as possible or looks like a factory install.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I use a Rexing V1P (I think) in my truck. It has a front 1080p and a rear 720p camera that records in two separate files on the memory card. If I were to do this one again, I'd spring for at least 1080p on the rear camera, 720p sucks. This camera has a screen that's useless.

I have a 70mai mini in my car that only records front, but it's a 2k image. It is noticeably better than the 1080p, no useless screen and has WiFi. The WiFi is handy, but I do find myself pulling the card out sometimes still.

Both cameras tuck away perfectly behind the rear view mirrors. One thing I'd like to see is a higher FPS rate, but for most of what you'd use the dashcam for the 15fps (I think that's what they are) is fine.

I did a small amount of research before I bought what I got, but ultimately I picked up the ones I did because I had friends using them and were happy with them. I got frustrated trying to sort through all the reviews and crap.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Have them in All my vehicles. I run Vantru Pro N2. Rexing also makes good ones.

I like features like G sensor, motion sensor, and especially a dual facing rear cam that catches you. So any ass hat that hits you can't say you were texting. I run 256gb cards for long time recording.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Searched but only threads I could find were a few years old.

Who is running a dash cam and what do you recommend? Thinking about getting a nicer one for my truck and wife's car and maybe cheaper ones for the jeep and mustang that don't get driven as much. I'd prefer to hardwire it for as clean of an install as possible, rear facing is a plus, and a screen is un needed. I'm kind of picky and my biggest requirement is it is as unnoticeable as possible or looks like a factory install.
Check out RDforum.org. Grunch of info on that site.

rborden

Established Member
The Vava 4k 2160p dashcam is superb.

It has minor bugs that need to be worked out but they are tolerable.

It won’t run in the background. You have to keep the app open all the time. So I bought a cheap phone on ebay and I just use that primarily. This is the main annoyance.

You can edit, trim and remove audio right from your phone. Files are a bit big for email but you can use the google drive app and send the links via email.

It has a watermark for the date, time and vehicle speed. It also keeps a gps track of your trips.

You will need a Class 10 U3 sdhc card. I run a 256gb card in mine.

Sees very well at night. The clarity is ridiculous.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had one in my Focus when I lived in the Seattle area 3+ years ago. Moved to Maine and took it out and it has not been back in the car since. Forget what the brand/model is.
On the rare occasion that a car comes into the shop with a dash cam, everyone in the shop is like "what the hell is wrong with that weirdo" Lol
My car insurance rate dropped by 72% when I moved from Washington State to Maine.

Last edited:

96dreamer

Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I initially looked at amazon and the huge amount available and numerous fake reviews left me feeling a little overwhelming. The intersection right by my house constantly has idiots in the wrong lane, running lights and being generally shitty drivers. With us now having our first kid and being paranoid about most things I started looking into cams for all of the cars.

Users who are viewing this thread