Dash Swap

SadisticMystic

Established Member
Looking to swap out the interior in my 97 Cobra from the factory Saddle to either black or dark charcoal. I figured since I'll have to swap the entire dash anyways would it be possible to just swap in an '01 up dash to take advantage of the double din? I know it will fit but just curious to know what type of wiring mess I'll be getting into.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Kind of depends on the head-unit you want to use. I know quite a few years ago there was a how-to floating around somewhere on here that made use of the stock 01/03/04 radio but it seems to be lost to the sands of time now. I haven't been able to locate it anyway.

My suggestion would be to get a nice aftermarket unit. There are plug and play harnesses available at very reasonable costs that take all of the guess work out of the installation. The aftermarket head-units also provide a lot more features these days than you'll get with a factory radio.

SadisticMystic

Established Member
Kind of depends on the head-unit you want to use. I know quite a few years ago there was a how-to floating around somewhere on here that made use of the stock 01/03/04 radio but it seems to be lost to the sands of time now. I haven't been able to locate it anyway.

My suggestion would be to get a nice aftermarket unit. There are plug and play harnesses available at very reasonable costs that take all of the guess work out of the installation. The aftermarket head-units also provide a lot more features these days than you'll get with a factory radio.

Thanks for the info. I would most likely go with an aftermarket double din. I guess my real question though is will a complete 01 dash + dash harness swap into my 97 without splicing harnesses?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
The harness will need to be swapped from your caroling with the instrument cluster. I am doing a complete 01+ Dark Charcoal swap in my 96. A slight modification will need to be done to the frame as the two have different fuse compartments. Not bad though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SadisticMystic

Established Member
The harness will need to be swapped from your caroling with the instrument cluster. I am doing a complete 01+ Dark Charcoal swap in my 96. A slight modification will need to be done to the frame as the two have different fuse compartments. Not bad though.

Thanks Deceptive. Looked through your build thread and I'll mostly likely be doing the full dark charcoal swap as well. Have you come up with a solution yet for rewiring the rear defrost button to the new location?

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, I will provide a link for you a little later. But there is a great write up on that.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
a dash swap will test your patience for sure. get a few friends to help you.

you'll have to swap the harness from your dash over to the new one. also beware - dark charcoal and black are two totally different colors.

Users who are viewing this thread