Dashpot question

beef97

Established Member
Hello, I have a 2012 5.0 with a 6 spd manual and I have a tune from a custom shop and was having dashpot issues. The RPM's were dropping way too slow and so he lowered the values to zero (this is what he was describing to me). It helped a bit but I still feel that the RPM's come down a little too slow and was wondering if there is a way to reduce these values further or if there is only a set rate that the RPM's are allowed to drop? Any advice would be great! I am not a tuner but was wondering if there is anything else that could be done. Thanks!

MickeyD

Established Member
are you doing the idle relearn process for the car after re-setting the computer?

beef97

Established Member
hmmmm don't remember if i did it this last time. My tuner lowered the values from the first time and it still wasn't coming down fast enough so he set them to zero and i thought it almost felt the same so maybe thats why. I just let it sit for 2 minutes? Will that really make a difference? I appreciate the suggestion!

beef97

Established Member
Thats what i was wondering about, is there a set limit as to how fast you can make the RPM's drop? My problem is that by the time i shift into another gear after pressing the clutch, the engine is revving about 700 rpm's higher than the next gear's rpm's.....if that makes any sense. Its obviously a little more the higher i go in the rpm's and the faster i shift. Was just wondering if there is only so much adjustment you can make or is "zero" the fastest the rpm's will drop? Thanks!

MickeyD

Established Member
from my understanding of things the '11+'s dont use a dashpot function like previous year Mustangs do. What software was he using for the tuning? In the SCT software all the dashpot settings are maxed or zero'ed which means that they are not enabled.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you still running a stock throttle body? I guess there's a few other things to change with the DBW set up. From what I've read it's a mix of the values under the idle category.

beef97

Established Member
I have an SCT tuner that he sends me files to download to. As far as the throttle body goes, i am using stock now but i have an Accufab one that i just got in and will be switching to it any day now. Will that change things at all?

MickeyD

Established Member
With the stock TB, you shouldn't need any tune adjustments for throttle decay, unless something else isn't correct in the tune. With the Accufab TB, I would personally want it on the dyno or at least some remote tuning with data logs to get the DBW settings dialed in, otherwise your going to have a bunch of drive-ability issues.

For the issue you are having now, reload the tune when the car is cold and then disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a good 10 min. Then re-connect it and start the car up and let it sit for like 5 min with no throttle input. Then kick your AC on high for a about 3 min. This will help the car relearn its idle and could help you out for the time being.

beef97

Established Member
Well the first tune i got the power increase was noticeable but the rate of decay on the RPM's was crazy, it would come down so slow! Almost to the point where it sounds like you are intentionally revving it down slow. Then he adjusted it and it was better but i still wanted it to come down faster. Then he said he set it at zero, which supposedly was the lowest it could go. So i know that there are adjustments that can be made what i don't know is how limited are you in how fast you can make the rpm's drop? I was told by accufab that there is no calibration necessary with this throttle body.

MickeyD

Established Member
This sounds fishy, considering the way a dashpot decay rate functions is that to make the throttle decay faster you would increase the values. Setting these all to zero would make the throttle hang worse. He may be adjusting something else and not telling you what that is exactly.

beef97

Established Member
Ok i made a video. Please tell me if you think this looks ok. Hopefully this link works! To me it seems as if it dropped faster when it was stock. I'd prefer to have it drop faster than this.

[youtube_browser]aV_uI56Wtw4[/youtube_browser]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread