DD/Project car under $10K

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
You can find 4th Gen Ls1s for 10k and under. I got my 2000 Z/28 with 51k miles for $9500 over a year ago. This was before the 4th gens value took a dive...

I just took a trip from the Bay Area to Monterey/Pebble Beach and got 25 mpg with an auto with full bolt ons.....

I have less than $2000 in performance mods, $2750 if you include the wheels and suspension and run high 12's....

Manual f-bodies get even better gas mileage....even with a cam or over 400 hp they can get good mpg.

I wouldn't bother with a 3rd gen Camaro or LT1 personally...

240s, 3rd Gen RX7 and 300ZX are hit or miss. Usually if they're in good shape they command a hefty price for what you get.

Plus a lot of 300ZXs have had electrical issues.

96-98 Cobras are cool. I want one some day. I'd still pick my F-body over one as of right now. Unless I found one with a Terminator swap.

The only other option that I see that I would agree with is a Fox-Body. Finding one that isn't a beater and isn't over priced may take a while.....

Good luck

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
You can find 4th Gen Ls1s for 10k and under. I got my 2000 Z/28 with 51k miles for $9500 over a year ago. This was before the 4th gens value took a dive...

I just took a trip from the Bay Area to Monterey/Pebble Beach and got 25 mpg with an auto with full bolt ons.....

I have less than $2000 in performance mods, $2750 if you include the wheels and suspension and run high 12's....

Manual f-bodies get even better gas mileage....even with a cam or over 400 hp they can get good mpg.

I wouldn't bother with a 3rd gen Camaro or LT1 personally...

240s, 3rd Gen RX7 and 300ZX are hit or miss. Usually if they're in good shape they command a hefty price for what you get.

Plus a lot of 300ZXs have had electrical issues.

96-98 Cobras are cool. I want one some day. I'd still pick my F-body over one as of right now. Unless I found one with a Terminator swap.

The only other option that I see that I would agree with is a Fox-Body. Finding one that isn't a beater and isn't over priced may take a while.....

Good luck

LT1s are a lot of fun to drive. My brother's 94 Z28 A4 is a blast and the interior is way more comfortable than my 02 Z28 (although a little dated comparatively obviously). Granted it's a high 13-second car with the few bolt-ons it has, but I'd cruise around all day in that thing because I like the feel of it (cloth seats, too). He also paid only $6,500 for it with good mileage and in great condition, and that was about 6 months ago.

blainestang

Established Member
I picked up my '93 Notch for $500 and have been DD'ing it for the last 30k miles w/ only routine maintenance (217k total). Sure it's a 4-cylinder, but that means mid-20's around town and $9500 left for mods/engine/etc.

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
LT1s are a lot of fun to drive. My brother's 94 Z28 A4 is a blast and the interior is way more comfortable than my 02 Z28 (although a little dated comparatively obviously). Granted it's a high 13-second car with the few bolt-ons it has, but I'd cruise around all day in that thing because I like the feel of it (cloth seats, too). He also paid only $6,500 for it with good mileage and in great condition, and that was about 6 months ago.

While I'm aware of this, my friends have had bad experiences with them so I have stayed away from LT1s. I also see LT1s going for $3500-5500 while LS1 have been going for $5500-8500. When they are within a couple thousand the choice would be simple....at least for me

Users who are viewing this thread