De-anodized Billet fuel door

Mysticobra

Established Member
I liked the billet fuel door with a cobra engraved on black door but the only one available from UPR was with the anodized outer ring. It would not go with my mystichrome with shiny mags and polished bumper inserts. I could have bought too doors (one with the cobra and one chromed without logo) and interchange the rings but quite expensive.

I decide to put in application Scott's tips on how to polish aluminum http://www.superstallions.com/tech/carcare/polish.html . The only difference is the anodized material on the aluminum.

It's feasible :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a real pain ]:bash: to remove it (took 6 hours with arm work and sand paper). Once the anodized was remove, it was a piece of cake to do the rest of Scott's instructions (less than an hour).

I find the end result quite impressive. Here is the result before and after. The picture was taken in front of my computer screen to get the degree of reflection. I'm satisfied now and it will better match my car.

http://image.internetimagingnetwork.com/gi/i4/ph124442430408

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
That looks awesome! 6 hours is a long damn time though. Now, throw it on the Mystic and takes some pics for us. It's gonna look awsome.

halo

Outta my way!!!
Established Member
I've heard that oven cleaner is good for removing anodized coatings. I've never tried it myself, so use at your own risk!

jdl1000

Established Member
Oven Cleaner works great for taking the coating off. I used it to take the anodizing off of my motorcycle before polishing. Spray the piece with easy off oven cleaner let sit for about 20 mins and start rubbing the anodizing off. The anodizing will begin to bubble. Good Luck!

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
The problem with polish aluminum is that it has to be repolished periodically to maintain the shinny chrome like finish. For 6 plus hours of work, I think I'd just fork over the money and buy the two covers and combine them.

Mysticobra

Established Member
I used the back of the ring to do tests. If I knew oven cleaner would have been a possibility, I would have tested it on a small surface behind. Anyway, it is done and I'm satisfied. Winter days are long so I had nothing else to do Lolll.

As soon as it is installed, I will post picture.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Yep, oven cleaner does do it, and does a good job. You coulda been done with that part in 30 minutes or less :) Then just polish it off and done.

Ive used it many times, and works like a charm every time. Welds are the hard part to get, but you wouldnt have had that trouble.

Its very simple. Anodizing is soaked into the pores in aluminum. Oven cleaner opens the pores up to allow you to just about wipe the anodizing off. It also etches into the anodizing (and aluminum, although not drastic) to allow it to "release" from the metal.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Originally posted by MustangDave
you know what would really look good... is if you had the center of the cap painted mysticc... just a thought

That would look killer. I wonder what it would take to do that?

Users who are viewing this thread