Dealer service problem

goodquest

Established Member
I have three problems that my ford dealer either cannot figure out or is too lazy.

1.When I turn on my air conditioner there is a loud clunk.
2.Turning my steering wheel all the way right, their is a straining sound.
3.My right front tire shows wear on the outer edge, and the alignment is with in specs.

The first two ford said is normal, and they have no idea on the third. If I remember there Is a TSB on the AC .

They did fix the front end noise.

Anybody have the tsb on the Ac and what to look for on the other two problems.

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
The relay and clutch in my A/C make a clunk when the compressor turns on, since "clunk" is subjective as to annoying .. hard to say. I can hear mine from within the car (like the fan relay) but it doesn't sound broken.

Every car I've owned with power steering makes a straining sound when the wheel is turned all the way either side.

Hope that helps

Slythrin

the clutch clunk is abosolutly normal in every ford car or truck that is the coils pulling the engauging plae in to turn the compressor . the straining noise is the pump because your fully turned and hitting the lock and also is normal. only fix manual steering and remove the a/c or buy a chevy

Joe D

Established Member
goodquest said:
<snip>
3.My right front tire shows wear on the outer edge, and the alignment is with in specs.
<snip>

The alignment specs are wide enough to drive a truck through. What you need to do is get a set of caster/camber plates, and have the alignment set to:

Total Toe .= + 1/16"
Camber . . = -1.25
Caster . . .= Find the side that gives you the most positive, and set the other side to the same setting. (Mine sets out at about +4.1, and more is better)

Without the CC plates, "within spec" doesn't mean much. When I first got my Cobra, the alignment guy at the Ford dealership set my alignment to exactly in the middle of the factory specs, and I can tell you the car handled terrible.

The only realy to put a good alignment on our Cobras is with a set of CC plates.

HTHs,

Joe

hmwave

Established Member
goodquest said:
2.Turning my steering wheel all the way right, their is a straining sound.

Read the manual. You are not supposed to turn the steering to the stops.
That's the same on a lot of vehicles.

TenthScale

Established Member
Might as well throw a big agreement on what was said..

A/C clutch annoying loud but then again so is the tranny so :shrug:

Powersteerig is not ment to be pushed to the edge just the system straining.

Tirewear I have the same issue.. so again :shrug: Need to figure out a good alignment before I replace with new GS D3s.

Users who are viewing this thread