Dealer to sell me a Ford GT @ MSRP

Formula51

Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
I believe it was MT that published those #s. I also remember seeing a 0-60 of 3.5 and a 1/4 of 12.5 @127 mph in a previous issue of that same mag. :shrug: I guess we'll have to wait & see what they run in real world times.

Captain, please get your numbers in the same realm before posting what you "remember seeing". It is very misleading to those who do not pay attention and now think their pullied Cobra can go whoop the new Z06.

It was Raod and Track who posted the GOD AWEFUL 12.3 @ 116mph. Don't know what the problem was. Car and Driver and Motor Trend ran 11.7 @ 125mph and 11.5 @ 127mph respectively. Real world times should be in the low to mid 11's.

w. mitty said:
Now, would you kindly refer us to the side-by-side test data between the GT and ZO6 upon which you base your dubious statement regarding "every other category"? The only thing we know for sure is that the GT has a higher top speed (this based on GM's own admission that the Z tops out at 197).

I will gladly refer you...The first of many comparisons to come is in a new thread I started. It was done by Automobile and the GT lost every performance category to the Z06 except track time. It beat the Z06 around a relatively small and non-technical track (Gingerman Raceway) by 3 tenths of a second.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223368

w. mitty said:
Would you also care to respond to the basic premise of my post (which you apparantly missed); that GT buyers are looking for things the ZO6 does not and can not offer?

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I totally agree with you. I love the new Z06 and if I was a GT owner I would be a little dissapointed when I read what the Z is achieving on the track. However, I would just walk into my garage and look at my GT in all it's glory and say to myself, "who cares!" It can not be denied that if performance is all you care about, then the Z06 might be the way to go. But in today's America, where it is all about "image" the Ford GT takes the cake. Me personally, I would rather have the "drop dead sexy looker that is the Ford GT", but I might actually afford a used Z06 in the future so it gets a little more of my attantion. The GT is out of my league, well I am a mechanical engineer, maybe one day I will get that dream job, maybe, snap out of it! Sorry was dreaming there. :)

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Formula51 said:
Captain, please get your numbers in the same realm before posting what you "remember seeing". It is very misleading to those who do not pay attention and now think their pullied Cobra can go whoop the new Z06.

It was Raod and Track who posted the GOD AWEFUL 12.3 @ 116mph. Don't know what the problem was. Car and Driver and Motor Trend ran 11.7 @ 125mph and 11.5 @ 127mph respectively. Real world times should be in the low to mid 11's.

My bad, I get all those rags mixed up, but it did run that 12.3. I'm also aware of the other times run by the other rags. I guess it just go to show you that there are too many variables involved in drag testing these cars. We can't expect the same times duplicated by all the mags. I've seen the GT go as fast as 11.2 @129 by one of the other two mags you mentioned. But, I've also seen it run a slow 11.7 by also one of these mags. Like I said, too many variables involved.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
I have also seen the GT run 12.0 and 12.2. Like any statistical analysis, you throw out the outliers and then normalize the data for a good idea of times. However, all that really matters is what times you run compared to the times of the guy lined up next to you!

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Ford GT Fan said:
The $10K price increase is on all cars invoiced after July 1, so there will be many 2005s at this higher price.

Didn't catch this when it was posted.

This was one of the dumbest things Ford has done with this car. There are going to be LOTS of 05's sitting on dealer floors cause of this; why buy a 05 when the 06 is the same price and newer?

I was at a Ford dealer in a little po-dunk town in Montana yesterday (20,000 people live in the county). They got their 05 (number 1810) last week yet they wern't on an allocation list. I think Ford is giving the last 05's to any dealer that wants to floor them.

They should have done the 10K increase starting with the 06 cars (the first 06's are shipping to dealers right now).

Last edited:

rocknrod

Car Builder
Established Member
50 BMG said:
....There are going to be LOTS of 05's sitting on dealer floors cause of this; why buy a 05 when the 06 is the same price and newer?
....... I think Ford is giving the last 05's to any dealer that wants to floor them.
.....(the first 06's are shipping to dealers right now).

Since there are more 05's built than sold your right. Since the dealers have made sure they wouldnt sell the numbers they could have when this was "HOT" there will be alot more of em on the showroom floor. Unless of course dealers intend to "sell" them. (please do not read into that)

w. mitty

Established Member
Formula51 said:
I will gladly refer you...The first of many comparisons to come is in a new thread I started. It was done by Automobile and the GT lost every performance category to the Z06 except track time. It beat the Z06 around a relatively small and non-technical track (Gingerman Raceway) by 3 tenths of a second.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223368

Whoa there -- did you read the same test I did? What were the 0-60 times between the GT and the ZO6?

Big 8

Established Member
Hit the auto trader they have several at MSRP all 05s. Delaer here has one on the floor at MSRP Black has the stripes! LaPoint Ford

Formula51

Established Member
w. mitty said:
Whoa there -- did you read the same test I did? What were the 0-60 times between the GT and the ZO6?

From Automobile's heads up test. Same driver, on the same day, at the same place. Though certainly not the best driver, I'm not an Automobile fan if you can't tell!

Z06
0-60mph: 4.1 sec
1/4 mile: 12.0 sec
70-0mph: 149 ft
Cornering l/r: 1.10/1.09 G's

Best lap time: 1:32.75 sec
Best lap average speed: 73.0 mph

FGT
0-60mph: 3.8 sec
1/4 mile: 12.2 sec
70-0mph: 156 ft
Cornering l/r: 1.03/1.01 G's
Best lap time: 1:32.45 sec
Best lap average speed: 73.2 mph

Yes, we all know both cars are capable of better, but this is what they did when lined up next to each other (figuratively speaking).

Last edited:

fststhou realtr

Established Member
satx said:
you are right there is no comparison, the Z06 is the best and ford should just discontinue the GT.......now go back to the chevy boards and quit embarrassing yourself.

Agreed. GH1086 is an idiot. It goes like this. If I have to explain the difference between owning a 75K car and a 150K car, then we really do not need to be having the discussion. Performance be damned, I do not buy a mid 150K car to talk about my 1/4 mile performance numbers. I buy it because I can and I want it.

I have a new M5 on order. There are faster cars for way less scratch. But, I personally don't care. I want an M5. Period. And although it is quick, your 03 Cobra will blow me away. For 1/3rd the cost. But,then again, my 10K Syclone with upgrade turbo/intercooler will blow that 32K Cobra into the weeds. Again, who cares. So, unless Mr.NewGTowner comes in proclaming the godliness of the new GT and how it will walk the world of wheels, save the smack for someone who is in need of said smack. :beer:

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
Florida Chris said:
Unfortunately I don't have a hairpiece or own any gold chains. I am not sure I am qualified to own a Corvette.

Guess I'll have to stick with my GT.
:lol:

fordmanforever

Venomous
Established Member
oh by the way to chime back in on the Davies ford Gt's they are marked up 50,000 over sticker they are out of their mind IMO. They have a 2nd one on the showroom floor now for a total of two. Unbelieveable.

mardyn

Established Member
I was offered an '05 for $160K... slightly less than the 163.5 msrp... I thought the price was still too high... my offer was for $150K...

Now the car is gone from the small dealer here in East Texas.. not sure if it sold or not, but I'm holding out for a while longer.

mardyn

Users who are viewing this thread