Dealer to sell me a Ford GT @ MSRP

Ford GT Fan

Established Member
black_bullitt said:
i saw 2 of them go for $100k above MSRP because the dealers know the demand - they do a silent auction to get the most out of them

What demand? There's no demand at $100K over.

Maybe last year a few cars sold for that much.

If any recent sales have been over $180K or so, I'd be shocked, since "Buy-it-now" prices on eBay have been in the $170's.........

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
These dealers are dreaming now. With the 06's about to hit this over MSRP shit is going to be over...

Captain Beyond

Established Member
w. mitty said:
No flames here, and no offense taken.

You bring up an interesting point and one that certainly deserves a response from the GT crowd. While I can't speak for all of us GT owners, I can give you my perspective: I have had 5 different Corvettes, the last being a C5. They are, without question, one of the greatest values around, and a blast to drive.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the ZO6 is "faster" than the GT (an assumtion that is far from certain). You imply that a person buys a car based on entirely on a vague notion of performance, which, when translated, means "which car is fastest". Fastest where? Racing the ricers from stoplight to stoplight while Johnny law looks on? Fastest at the track where you can have cords showing on your $1000 set of street tires after a day of fun? Fastest on a deserted straight road? Fastest at the mall?

At the end of the day, if all you want are the standard magazine performance numbers (0-60, quarter mile, etc) you can do a heck of a lot better than a new Z06 for a lot less money -- just ask your local drag strip addicts.

What you pay for when you buy a car like the GT is a combination of things not available on a ZO6 : mid engine engineering, a distinct, world dominating, Ferrari trashing racing heritage, Ford stepping up to the plate and building something totally, unreasonably, outrageously cool, very limited production (driving the car in public is more of an event than it is transportation), wicked aerodyamics and ground effects, a supercharger you can see in the rearview, and a thousand other intangibles.

Sure the ZO6 is a great car, but I think the guys buying the GT are interested in more than simple drag race speeds. Having said that, I'll bet a GT will slap the soup out of a ZO6 in all the performace categories that matter :coolman: And the next time I'm doing 205 mph on the way to the mall, I'll be sure to waive at the lowly Z06 driver puttering along in the slow lane at 196. :rockon:

:thumbsup: :beer: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I had heard that MSRP on '06 GT is going to be $10K more than a '05GT...

Has anyone heard anything on that? I got the info second hand from a gentleman I know, that is ordering a '06 GT (Black, all stripes deleted, all other otptions ordered)

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
cobra186 said:
I had heard that MSRP on '06 GT is going to be $10K more than a '05GT...

Has anyone heard anything on that? I got the info second hand from a gentleman I know, that is ordering a '06 GT (Black, all stripes deleted, all other otptions ordered)

It's true. And there is suppost to be a premium on the 2 new colors...

Ford GT Fan

Established Member
The $10K price increase is on all cars invoiced after July 1, so there will be many 2005s at this higher price.

The "heritage paint" blue/orange option is $13K or so, compared to about $5K for the normal stripe option.

black_bullitt

Established Member
let it be known that i will be forever envious of anyone who ever owns a ford gt... the gt is by far my favorite "unnattainable" car, followed closely by a Saleen S7, and i say unnattainable because i'm just a poor airman in the USAF, lol.

hk4site

Established Member
They already had a 10k price increase on the 05"s, another 10k price increase would make me take another look at the Z06

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
LOL @ black bullet, its by far my favorite... followed closely by...
if thats not contradictory then i dont know what is, LOL.

GH1086

Established Member
w. mitty said:
No flames here, and no offense taken.

You bring up an interesting point and one that certainly deserves a response from the GT crowd. While I can't speak for all of us GT owners, I can give you my perspective: I have had 5 different Corvettes, the last being a C5. They are, without question, one of the greatest values around, and a blast to drive.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that the ZO6 is "faster" than the GT (an assumtion that is far from certain). You imply that a person buys a car based on entirely on a vague notion of performance, which, when translated, means "which car is fastest". Fastest where? Racing the ricers from stoplight to stoplight while Johnny law looks on? Fastest at the track where you can have cords showing on your $1000 set of street tires after a day of fun? Fastest on a deserted straight road? Fastest at the mall?

At the end of the day, if all you want are the standard magazine performance numbers (0-60, quarter mile, etc) you can do a heck of a lot better than a new Z06 for a lot less money -- just ask your local drag strip addicts.

What you pay for when you buy a car like the GT is a combination of things not available on a ZO6 : mid engine engineering, a distinct, world dominating, Ferrari trashing racing heritage, Ford stepping up to the plate and building something totally, unreasonably, outrageously cool, very limited production (driving the car in public is more of an event than it is transportation), wicked aerodyamics and ground effects, a supercharger you can see in the rearview, and a thousand other intangibles.

Sure the ZO6 is a great car, but I think the guys buying the GT are interested in more than simple drag race speeds. Having said that, I'll bet a GT will slap the soup out of a ZO6 in all the performace categories that matter :coolman: And the next time I'm doing 205 mph on the way to the mall, I'll be sure to waive at the lowly Z06 driver puttering along in the slow lane at 196. :rockon:

You're a tool. The only performance category the GT may be better in that the Z06 is 1/4 mile time, and only by a hair, the Z06 is superior in every other category for less than half the price. Not saying the GT is a bad car just not nearly as good a value as the Z06.

Last edited:

hk4site

Established Member
Everybody knows the Z06 is a better value, but a vette is a vette and when your 63 how many more cars are you going to own...very few

w. mitty

Established Member
GH1086 said:
The only performance category the GT may be better in that the Z06 is 1/4 mile time, and only by a hair, the Z06 is superior in every other category for less than half the price.

:bs:

No question that the Z06 is a great value.

Now, would you kindly refer us to the side-by-side test data between the GT and ZO6 upon which you base your dubious statement regarding "every other category"? The only thing we know for sure is that the GT has a higher top speed (this based on GM's own admission that the Z tops out at 197).

Would you also care to respond to the basic premise of my post (which you apparantly missed); that GT buyers are looking for things the ZO6 does not and can not offer?

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I read an article & roadtest in Motor Trend today about the new Z06. It is quite an impressive machine but I don't think that it will run with a Ford GT at any given speed (at least on a staight). They managed to get a 0-60 of 4.2 sec. and a 1/4 mile time of 12.3 @ 116 mph. Top speed is listed at 198 mph. Although these #s are quite impressive, they are not as close to that of the GT. :burnout:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Chevy trend published those numbers?

I predict some cancelled/non-renewed subscriptions after that...

satx

Banned
GH1086 said:
You're a tool. The only performance category the GT may be better in that the Z06 is 1/4 mile time, and only by a hair, the Z06 is superior in every other category for less than half the price. Not saying the GT is a bad car just not nearly as good a value as the Z06.

you are right there is no comparison, the Z06 is the best and ford should just discontinue the GT.......now go back to the chevy boards and quit embarrassing yourself.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Ugh, why do idiots title them then sell them with less than 100 miles?

That takes at least 10K off the selling price...if he got a 160,000 bid he should be happy and run with it. Luck for him he has whats probably the rarest color/stripe combo for 05...

Captain Beyond

Established Member
50 BMG said:
Chevy trend published those numbers?

I predict some cancelled/non-renewed subscriptions after that...

I believe it was MT that published those #s. I also remember seeing a 0-60 of 3.5 and a 1/4 of 12.5 @127 mph in a previous issue of that same mag. :shrug: I guess we'll have to wait & see what they run in real world times.

Last edited:

DanQ

Like you (hk4site), I'm waiting for an '06 at MSRP, but as time passes, I don't think it is going to happen. Too many greedy dealers.

Oh well, I guess it is their decision not to contact a buyer (me or you) when they have one. All I know is I won't pay over list if I can't order the car the way I want it. (no wheels, no stereo, maybe stripes depending on the color).
Apparently dealers think I have a long attention span, but the longer I wait the more ways I can think of spending $150K.

I do hope the Z06 tests well, that should free up a few more GTs for us! While I appreciate the value of a Z06, it just doesn't scratch the same itch.

Time is running out dealers, better send me a PM before it is too late.

Users who are viewing this thread