Dealing with mornings?

Hey guys, I wanted to see if you all have any strategies for waking up in the morning without feeling so groggy. When my alarm clock goes off in the morning I have the hardest time waking up, I feel like I got 10 minutes of sleep regardless of if I go to bed and get 4, 6, or 8 hours of sleep. It takes me an awfully long time to get going in the morning. I usually have to set my alarm clock about 90-60 minutes before I have to be up, because I literally need that much extra time to get going. I know mornings suck for everyone, but I feel that I have an extremely difficult time waking up, same thing goes for naps too. I can take a 15 minute nap or a 3 hour nap and I still have an incredibly difficult time actually waking up. Once I can muscle up and get going I am fine, but the transition for me is always hellacious. I almost feel like I am still halfway between a deep sleep and consciousness when I try to get up.

I eat healthy and go to the gym about 4-5 days a week so I know diet and bodily condition aren't related, and I have had this problem for years but haven't encountered a solution that I have found to work. My doors are open to any suggestions.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
sleep apnea will produce exactly those symptoms. You can have it even if you are not overweight and/or out of shape. You might want to consider getting a sleep test.

Jim Snover

THE_STIG

Established Member
I take 5-hour energy, energy now, no crash later.

j/k that stuff is nasty

To be honest, i've never had any trouble with sleep, I can go days without sleep if I have to.

USMarksman91

Banned
Set an alarm next to The coffee machine as well as next to ur bed. Then u have no choice but to get up. Or set it just in the kitchen if u dont have a coffee machine

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Not judging you or anything as it isn't my business (making observation of the Bob Marley avi)...simply making a suggestion if applicable. maybe lay off the reefer and see how your sleep habits adjust.

The only thing i can suggest is try getting (more than you think you need)8-10 hours of sleep and wake up and make some coffee and a solid breakfast...this is the only remedy I have found to make mornings bearable. It took a week or so for me to finally get my body used to going to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 7am or so.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I am like that sometimes as well, today i only slept 5 hours, popped up and was ready to go. Just depends on the day, its random. To help me I set more than one alarm, normally a radio and another device and set them so I have to move a good bit if i want to shut them off.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
I'm looking into setting up my bedroom lights to come on at my wakeup time.. that may be just me, but the lights coming on is about the only thing that will keep me awake on my first wakeup. I usually don't lose the grogginess until I shower.

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Hey guys, I wanted to see if you all have any strategies for waking up in the morning without feeling so groggy. When my alarm clock goes off in the morning I have the hardest time waking up, I feel like I got 10 minutes of sleep regardless of if I go to bed and get 4, 6, or 8 hours of sleep. It takes me an awfully long time to get going in the morning. I usually have to set my alarm clock about 90-60 minutes before I have to be up, because I literally need that much extra time to get going. I know mornings suck for everyone, but I feel that I have an extremely difficult time waking up, same thing goes for naps too. I can take a 15 minute nap or a 3 hour nap and I still have an incredibly difficult time actually waking up. Once I can muscle up and get going I am fine, but the transition for me is always hellacious. I almost feel like I am still halfway between a deep sleep and consciousness when I try to get up.

I eat healthy and go to the gym about 4-5 days a week so I know diet and bodily condition aren't related, and I have had this problem for years but haven't encountered a solution that I have found to work. My doors are open to any suggestions.

Do you sleep the whole night? Do you wake from dreaming? Do you remember dreaming?

Not judging you or anything as it isn't my business (making observation of the Bob Marley avi)...simply making a suggestion if applicable. maybe lay off the reefer and see how your sleep habits adjust.

The only thing i can suggest is try getting (more than you think you need)8-10 hours of sleep and wake up and make some coffee and a solid breakfast...this is the only remedy I have found to make mornings bearable. It took a week or so for me to finally get my body used to going to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 7am or so.

Or maybe smoke more?:shrug: lol jk..

sleep apnea will produce exactly those symptoms. You can have it even if you are not overweight and/or out of shape. You might want to consider getting a sleep test.

Jim Snover

+1

xTomKx

Established Member
Bang a girl before going to sleep. I had sleeping problems around the age of 30 and that always worked the best. Second thing was nyquil, but you don't want to take it more than once a week.

Also...From talking to friends I think it's common to have sleep problems around the age of 30.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

Jim Snover

I agree. That 4, 6, or 8 hours of sleep you're getting might not be worth a damn.

I work shift work, 12 hour shifts alternating days and nights. It's rough and my sleep schedule suffers. Thankfully I can function on 2-3 hours of sleep a night.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
Mt Dew always does the trick. I work different kinds of shifts, like right now I just got off my other job two hours ago and I have to be in the other in an hour. I guess i'll stay on SVTP till then lol.

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
you just have to make it a habit to get up early everyday even if you don't have to. It works for me. Like ill train myself to get up at 7am for at least 3 days before I actually have to be up at that hour and my body gets used to it, but I am a morning person anyway I can't stand sleeping in late.

pwrshft99

Established Member
Absolutely hate mornings.. all thru out school. Some people just function better at night.

Sometimes you need to have a lazy day. Sleep in and don't do shit. Wake up at noon, grab a bite, watch some tube while laying on the couch, then hit the sack about 7 or 8. You'll waste an entire day but it might techarge your batteries enough to make it.

Few years back I was working 4am-6pm mandatory, seven days a week. Just toughed it out and looked forward to calling in sick.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
You have to setup a very intricate little trap (like on "The Witches") where if you didn't wake up within 10 seconds to hit the snooze button, you get shot in the nads with a paintball gun

Problem solved

Keith Stone

Banned

Jim Snover

I was about to say the same thing. I have minor SA and experience the same symptoms.

Users who are viewing this thread