Debating Cat Deletes...

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
...with SLP AB's. I have been putting this off for a while because I already have a feeling that the combo will sound like ass and be waaay to loud. I'm hoping someone that has run this combo can shed some light on it though.

I don't want to dump the money on an O/R H because I know I will be doing LT's sometime over the winter when my car is down, and it will be no good at that point, so I'm thinking about just adding the deletes and keeping the stock H for the time being.

I know it will be loud at WOT and on cold start-up, but I need to know if its too insane for normal around town driving. I'm thinking it will be raspy as well, but maybe not "as" raspy as if I were doing an O/R X.

I know this is in no way a popular set-up, but any opinions, experience, or insight is appreciated. :beer:

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
Just do it, no cats are what motors are supposda sound like. I deleted my cats on my 01 cobra with slp lm2's. Just made it a bit louder earlier.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Just do it, no cats are what motors are supposda sound like. I deleted my cats on my 01 cobra with slp lm2's. Just made it a bit louder earlier.

I probably will just for the performance increase but I hate trumpety; raspy exhaust, and I have a feeling that's what I will get if I do.

StangMan04

Established Member
If/when you do it, please make a video. Would like to hear it, not just at WOT but normal driving as well. I have the SLP LMs as well.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I was debating but yesterday i pulled the trigger on a stainless works 3" off road x its t-304 stainless so it costs a liitle more. But i have gt-500 mufflers i expect it to be alittle louder, but i also epect 20 more hp as well on my supercharged car. I'm gonna keep my catted x just in case....lol. I should have it on sometime next week..if your worried about it being to loud change your axle backs..

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
I would try the deletes if i were you, but i would also look into different axlebacks.
Yours with cat deletes will be beyond loud.

stang8psi

Established Member
I probably will just for the performance increase but I hate trumpety; raspy exhaust, and I have a feeling that's what I will get if I do.

it will sound pretty close to these local hillbilly straight piped trucks around our area... Sounds no good lol

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
well, a guy near me that has a 2013 with flowmasters just did cat deletes and left the stock H, he said power gains were not really noticeable and the car got a little louder.

What we pegged to be his problem is the stock H pipe. It being as tight at 2.25" through many parts of the H pipe vs the after market pipes that are 3" all the way down to the OTA pipes and then have a modular 2.75" end flow much better.

Needless to say, he was happy with the change, but I think compared to those of us with the complete deal O/R pipes he is nowhere as loud nor saw the performance gain either.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Well, I don't really want to, but I guess to get good sound with an O/R H, I'm gonna have to GT500 AB's like everyone else.. Those OEM mufflers are heavy as hell, and it was cool to drop 2 anchors for 2 pieces of pipe that weigh nothing when swapping in my SLP's....Oh well.

Nuar

Established Member
I like my bassani axle back.
Its very tame driving around town, but when you put your foot down, it wakes the dead lol.

Buy a used set and try them out. You can always sell them if youre not happy.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Well, I don't really want to, but I guess to get good sound with an O/R H, I'm gonna have to GT500 AB's like everyone else.. Those OEM mufflers are heavy as hell, and it was cool to drop 2 anchors for 2 pieces of pipe that weigh nothing when swapping in my SLP's....Oh well.

Yeah but once you hear the way they sound you will forget about the weight. Also what makes them look cool is to paint them high heat flat black, leaving the tips unpainted it looks hot. I took some of that weight away when I replaced my stock shorty headers to kooks super street headers, they are %40 lighter then the stockers!

Users who are viewing this thread