Debating on new truck in spring.. Tundra Crewmax TRD or F150 5.0

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I've had my fair share of vehicles in the past and looking to get another one to actually keep. I would of kept my 13 Fx4 but Ford pissed me off not wanting to fix AC.

Ive had 2x 6.0's
2011 xlt ext cab 4x4
13 fx4 base
14 Silverado crew

Now looking at the 15 f150's and the Tundras.

pros's and cons on tundra

Pros: best brakes ive ever felt better then most 3/4 tons
big
comfy
4.30 gears
Toyotas last and hold value

Cons: terrible mpg
9 year old powertrain
no flat floor in the backseat or under seat storage
no 36gallon tank 24 only and no built in trailer brake

F150s

Pros:

good mpg
aluminum body
36gallon tank
5.0 is a good motor
flat floor in backseat area folds flat up

Cons:
Fords service is terrible.
mpg never as claimed
doesn't haul like tundra
brakes not as good
more expensive even with x plan
and having terrible issues with AC seats and ford wont fix it... typical

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I know people with 2015 tundras and they feel so cheap on the interior. I drove one for a day and was not impressed. Never been behind the wheel of a new F150 but id hope its better than the tundra IMO.

Also sounds like you already have your mind made up on a tundra, just pull the trigger on it. The points you pointed out show you leaning towards the toyota so good luck in your new vehicle

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I know what I'd pick but it sounds like you have your mind made up. F series is the best selling truck for a reason.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I have a '15 F150 CC with the 3.5EB in it and love it. Buddy has a Tundra and wants my truck.

What do you need the 4.30's for?

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I know people with 2015 tundras and they feel so cheap on the interior. I drove one for a day and was not impressed. Never been behind the wheel of a new F150 but id hope its better than the tundra IMO.
It's not much different feeling then previous gen besides the slope by mirrors is absolutely amazing for field of view.
Also sounds like you already have your mind made up on a tundra, just pull the trigger on it. The points you pointed out show you leaning towards the toyota so good luck in your new vehicle
Oh no there's a few things I don't know if I can deal with on tundra

The lump on rear seats floor and the tiny tank..... I just meh.
Best selling truck....can't go wrong
My 13 had a lot of issues my 11 was flawless.
I know what I'd pick but it sounds like you have your mind made up. F series is the best selling truck for a reason.
Haven't made my mind yet. Need to do a few more test drives.
If the Ford service is so bad, you need to find another dealer.

I have Waldorf ford and purvis ford in Fredericksburg and rosner ford....

I heard rosner is good but they don't offer loaner cars.

Waldorf ford sucks hairy balls... And I have family that works there...

Purvis is way to damn expensive

2013GT'ed

Established Member
That Toyota is VERY thirsty with those gears. Usually only see 14-16 mpg on the freeway on a good day in Brother in laws. On the otherhand it DOES had bamf breaks. The interior is due for a update and some people still get the bed shake. On the other side i have a 2011 Fx4 CC ecoboost with the 373's and max tow. I routinely get 21+ on the freeway and have multiple pics of getting 24 at 70-71. A few times quite a bit higher. I like my interior better then the bros loaded rock crawler and it tows a lot easier from a standstill and when doing hills by quite a good margin. Although i think the bros beats me by 1-1.5 mpg while towing. He HATES the small tank though. He also hates the truck running at 4k rpms when rolling up the hills here and around the PNW. Its awesome to drive offroad just like mine. It will hold its value better but only if you don't beat on it. His has move squeaks and rattles then mine by far but hes put more miles on it for sure. Bottom line, they are BOTH good trucks and its pretty much just a couple of pros and cons to balance in your head. You will pay more for the yoda too. Oh, the trailer break seems to be a bitch to install correctly by the dealers up here. He went to a Trailer/RV place and they did it right the first time, so go that route if you get the toyota. The 5.0 i drove seems to get a lil better in town mpg and about 2 or so less then the ecoboost on the freeway. Keep in mind if you get a 5.0/3.5 ford they will get better mpgs then that 5.7 on its best days no matter what. That 5.7 is a hell of a motor and a lot of fun to drive...so look forward to Raptor mpgs #'s if you enjoy driving it too much lol.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Go to Jerrys
Where is that?
That Toyota is VERY thirsty with those gears. Usually only see 14-16 mpg on the freeway on a good day in Brother in laws. On the otherhand it DOES had bamf breaks. The interior is due for a update and some people still get the bed shake. On the other side i have a 2011 Fx4 CC ecoboost with the 373's and max tow. I routinely get 21+ on the freeway and have multiple pics of getting 24 at 70-71. A few times quite a bit higher. I like my interior better then the bros loaded rock crawler and it tows a lot easier from a standstill and when doing hills by quite a good margin. Although i think the bros beats me by 1-1.5 mpg while towing. He HATES the small tank though. He also hates the truck running at 4k rpms when rolling up the hills here and around the PNW. Its awesome to drive offroad just like mine. It will hold its value better but only if you don't beat on it. His has move squeaks and rattles then mine by far but hes put more miles on it for sure. Bottom line, they are BOTH good trucks and its pretty much just a couple of pros and cons to balance in your head. You will pay more for the yoda too. Oh, the trailer break seems to be a bitch to install correctly by the dealers up here. He went to a Trailer/RV place and they did it right the first time, so go that route if you get the toyota. The 5.0 i drove seems to get a lil better in town mpg and about 2 or so less then the ecoboost on the freeway. Keep in mind if you get a 5.0/3.5 ford they will get better mpgs then that 5.7 on its best days no matter what. That 5.7 is a hell of a motor and a lot of fun to drive...so look forward to Raptor mpgs #'s if you enjoy driving it too much lol.

Yeah the interior is dated hell the whole truck is but damnit yota's resale is insane.

Fords tank off the lot. But ford has there shit together on technology for sure...

But those brakes are absolutely insane lol... I swore that heavy tank slowed down faster than my cobra with cobra r brakes hahaha

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member

24+ mpg on occasion? Hand calced? No way. A buddy has had 2 different ecsb 2wd trucks and both are dead on 19-19.5@ 70-71 mph empty in flat i95 florid driving. How does your get over 20% better fuel economy than his? Also if you tow the Eco mog dies. Both trucks mag and an online test of a Eco crew 4x4 vs a raptor had the raptor with a 6.2 and 35s getting better mog by .5-.9 than the mog king Eco. There are countless threads complaining aboutz mog and almost none saying thry are getting 5-7mpg better than sticker.

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
I considered a TRD also. They get 17-18 in stock form with those tires.any tire size bump is showings guys getting 14-16 on interstate inn 33/34s.

WitH that.....I've seenu few articles that genralized for the avg guy mixed with price and abilities the TRD was a much better package than the raptor.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I considered a TRD also. They get 17-18 in stock form with those tires.any tire size bump is showings guys getting 14-16 on interstate inn 33/34s.

WitH that.....I've seenu few articles that genralized for the avg guy mixed with price and abilities the TRD was a much better package than the raptor.

I'm not looking at the trd pro just the trd off-road

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Like this
d4d6b7138d46ad58b329197831133c27.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread