Debt Collection Help?

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
In your instance small claims court would be the best route. Try not to involve an attorney, you'll end up owing them more than amount your seeking, been there done that. Had a customer who owed me $28K, hired an attorney to go after him legally. I won the case but my now ex-attorney billed me $41K for his services. I was scammed by my own attorney, crook. I now have strong verbiage in all my contracts stating I am the owner of all property listed herein until final payment is made and I reserve the right to repossession. There's some other verbiage that states they will pay for all court costs and attorney's fees if I have to pursue them legally.

That sounds absurd. First off he should have warned you his cost, second that is just excessive, third he could have saved you extensive time and money by going through district court and suing for the maximum in District court. That would have limited costs. Any time a case even appears to cost more than the recovery maximum a client should be thoroughly warned. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Would love to!

there's a company my bro used to work for, they would ask for big downpayment and if the monthly payments weren't made they would repo it fast. customers didn't know they installed small GPS finder device in side the cars.......not sure if legal or not but he said they did it to everydar. so you had a late fee repo fee and device fee lmfao :lol:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i am a collections / finance supervisor. what exactly is the product or service and i will try to help you as much as i can.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
At my old dealership I had the same problem. I ended up getting a check verifying service to guarantee the checks. You need to keep calling the customers and get some sort of payment from them. You also need to send letters and when all else fails, it is time to take them to small claims court. I use to call the customers daily and I would get a little gangster with them in order to collect some of the outstanding debt. You will realize with time that there is a reason these customers have bad credit and they have no remorse about not paying their bills. Once they have the car they don't care about bringing back stips, pick payment, or anything for that matter.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
if you were paid with a check, even if it was returned NSF...as long as you have it, you can take that check to their bank it was issued on and ask for the payment on it. i do this for people who write down payments and it NSF's. know when they get paid, and be at their bank when they unlock the doors before they have a chance to spend the money. yeh, they will get very mad...but i always say i am just trying to prevent a warrant for you for simple worthless check. had I not cashed your NSF check, a warant could be issued for your arrest. that usually makes them see the light.

this is just one tactic i use.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Maybe I should open an SVTP collection/repo service. you want in?

if you were paid with a check, even if it was returned NSF...as long as you have it, you can take that check to their bank it was issued on and ask for the payment on it. i do this for people who write down payments and it NSF's. know when they get paid, and be at their bank when they unlock the doors before they have a chance to spend the money. yeh, they will get very mad...but i always say i am just trying to prevent a warrant for you for simple worthless check. had I not cashed your NSF check, a warant could be issued for your arrest. that usually makes them see the light.

this is just one tactic i use.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
small claims court assuming they are refusing to pay, that gets you a judgment but you still have to get them to pay. With the judgment it will allow you access to tools that will let you garnish wages or bank accounts etc. It is an annoying task. I send out letters many times and they are ignored, my limit is two letters and we file in small claims. (depending on the sum owed).

This is your best option. Takes time, but usually works.

Yep! Its what we do in the apartment industry. You set a precedent when you allow it. Eventually word gets around and then they take advantage of you. You must take a "NO EXCEPTIONS" arpproach to your revenue collection. It's a hard thing to enforce, especially when you get sensitive to their situations, but you must take a stance. Hit em where it hurts. Unfortunately it is the cost of business.

Users who are viewing this thread