Decision help....

cmanzi77

Established Member
Car: 1998 Cobra SVT Coupe

Well I was originally thinking to get a bolt-on power mod as my next mod. So I was looking at Steeda Underdrive pulleys but then I thought more as a general overall mod and I'm looking to lower my cobra. I'm looking into Eibach pro-kit springs. 1.5" all around drop sounds good to me. Thing is I'm worried about the faster wear on my shocks and what not. Am I safe getting these springs?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
pullies really dont do jack squat unless your supercharged.
Please explain this comment.

^You don't want underdrive pullies on a blown motor.
Underdrive pulleys are okay on a supercharged motor. However, a small diamater dampener is not. Pulleys are located on the alternator, water pump and the power steering pump, the dampener (harmonic dampener) is on the crank.

Last edited:

cmanzi77

Established Member
So I mean is it safe to put on these springs? Havent really gotten a straight answer.

Just to let you know on the underdrive pulleys, they are dyno proven to gain 11 whp even says on the sticky worthwhile mods on 96-96 cobras on this forum. They reduce the speed of accessories thus reducing drag on the engine.

But guys I wanna hear some input on springs maybe even guys who have the eibach pro-kit too would be really great

cmanzi77

Established Member
Aw geez figured maybe I'll give it a shot and see if maybe they were safe with the stock shocks and struts. Oh well don't have the money to get all that. Think I'll just get the steeda underdrive pulleys.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
pullies really dont do jack squat unless your supercharged.

Sorry I meant pullies in general really dont make that much of a difference on a NA car unless your putting a pulley on a super charger (NOT specificially the underdrive seeing as those are two completely different parts. I'm speaking in general terms here).

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
Eibach pro-kit springs aren't that much stiffer then our stock springs they are softer then most of the common brands available so you will be fine not replacing your stock struts and shocks, If you where doing a firmer spring rate like and H&R super sport or such then i would say deff do shocks and struts because your car will ride like an 89 civic with cut springs. Therefore leaving you to be fine on your stock struts and shocks. BTW i was doing it for months with no issues and buddys of mine have done it for years..

Last edited:

cmanzi77

Established Member
Eibach pro-kit springs aren't that much stiffer then our stock springs they are softer then most of the common brands available so you will be fine not replacing your stock struts and shocks, If you where doing a firmer spring rate like and H&R super sport or such then i would say deff do shocks and struts because your car will ride like an 89 civic with cut springs. Therefore leaving you to be fine on your stock struts and shocks. BTW i was doing it for months with no issues and buddys of mine have done it for years..

Oh really? Can anyone else agree with him. If this was true I don't see why not to get them then as long as I don't have to worry about stock struts and shocks.

My_1st_Stang

Established Member
I'd like to further add to the UDP question...

When changing the pulleys on my 97Cobra will I have to change out anything else? I was told that I might have to change out the water pump to make sure I'm getting the right amount with the new pulley.

1st_Stang...

Users who are viewing this thread