Defect in the paint on rear bumper

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
IMG_2868_zps158d3513.jpg

How can this be fixed? It was like this when I picked up the 2015.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
It will need to be painted. It looks like it has already been lightly sanded. Did you do that?

I didn't sand it. I am a bit disappointed it will need to be repainted. Can I go to any Ford dealer to ask about this or does it have to be my selling dealership?

hand-filer

Established Member
You can take it to any dealer for the repair. There are a lot of surface scratches on the paint. Do you hand wash it?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Take it to a very good body shop or a detailer. It can probably be fixed and if it is down to the bumper a good painter or detailer can brush touch it. If you respray it it most likely will not match the quarter panels as bumpers rarely match anyways with the differing materials, but now you are adding in different paint not used on the rest of the vehicle. You would have to have it blended into the quarters which will be expensive and if it's covered under warranty they probably won't agree to the blending part.

Our painter would just cut and buff that first and brush touch if there was any flaw left. He's done far worse flaws than that and you can't even see it when he's done.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
My buddy just looked at your picture and said that's polypropylene or the actual bumper material itself. It looks like bubbling to me but he's saying they look like holes since it's been sanded on, and if they are holes then there is a two part mixture that can fix and fill that. So take it to a really good body shop before you try to have it repainted. Hope that helps.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Take it to a very good body shop or a detailer. It can probably be fixed and if it is down to the bumper a good painter or detailer can brush touch it. If you respray it it most likely will not match the quarter panels as bumpers rarely match anyways with the differing materials, but now you are adding in different paint not used on the rest of the vehicle. You would have to have it blended into the quarters which will be expensive and if it's covered under warranty they probably won't agree to the blending part.

Our painter would just cut and buff that first and brush touch if there was any flaw left. He's done far worse flaws than that and you can't even see it when he's done.

My buddy just looked at your picture and said that's polypropylene or the actual bumper material itself. It looks like bubbling to me but he's saying they look like holes since it's been sanded on, and if they are holes then there is a two part mixture that can fix and fill that. So take it to a really good body shop before you try to have it repainted. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I factory ordered this Mustang so I would have a Mustang free from paint defects. I looked over the Mustang before I took delivery and I still missed this. I will be taking it to a few body shops on Monday and see what they can do. Hopefully it will not need a repaint.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I factory ordered this Mustang so I would have a Mustang free from paint defects. I looked over the Mustang before I took delivery and I still missed this. I will be taking it to a few body shops on Monday and see what they can do. Hopefully it will not need a repaint.

Yeah, no problem, hope it helps. I used to work for a Ford dealer and saw a lot of the new cars come in with rail dust in the paint from transporting. That's what it kind of looks like to me but we see very high volumes of newer vehicles come through here daily and my friend recognized what the flaw on your car was immediately and he's been doing this for quite a while. The most important thing would be finding a body shop that recognizes what it is immediately also, and doesn't try to over-complicate it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread