Delaware Inspection - orig center high mount brakelight required?

CobraVert97

C O B R A
Established Member
Buddy at work just acquired an '89 LX 5.0 vert & is looking to replace the trunklid without the ugly luggage rack/3rd brakelight assembly. Will Delaware inspection pass a vehicle that was originally equipped with the center high mount brakelight if it is removed?

Cobra84

Established Member
I am not sure the correct answer to your question but i have noticed that the Newcastle DMV is much more lenient then the Dover, De DMV

CobraVert97

C O B R A
Established Member
He lives in Wilmington. Not sure where he goes. Does Delaware allow private inspection facilities or only state? I've only been in NJ for 2 years but I already hate the public facilities. Between getting my bike & car inspected took 5 visits total! For stupid crap that no one ever told me nor written anywhere I could find! (ie. Must have original ins card, copy not acceptable, tinted faceshield unacceptable, etc)

Anyway, hoping someone knows the laws in Delaware.

20LethalVenom03

Beaver Hunter
Established Member
by law probably. But if its a garage or shop doing the state inspection I bet they won't even notice it not being there, whats the worst case scenario, you have to swap 4 bolts and plug it back in for the old lid.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
All cars made after 1986 must have the third brake light.

+1

Yes they will notice, yes they will fail him.

For inspections in New Castle County (DE Has state inspections only, no private garages) I suggest going to the RT13 facility between around 10am on a Tuesday or Thursday. You should be in and out in 15 minutes.

If for some reason you fail, do not go back to RT13 for re-inspection. Head over to Airport Rd's facility around 9am.

But yes he needs a center brake light to pass inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread