Deployment pics?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I was in Hong Kong in a hotel for a typhoon once .. wasn't pretty or fun

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
Im in Yokosuka Right now, which is near yokohama and tokyo. but we are sort of stuck on board waiting for this ****ing typhoon to hit tomorrow... :banana:

Ah. My was stationed in Sasebo. That sucks about the Typhoon. :(

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Just got back in April... here are a few random pics.

IMG00014.jpg

IMG00013.jpg

SANY1501.jpg

SANY1500.jpg

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Tired and worn out after 7 months in Afghanistan. Lost between 10 to 15 pounds out here that I didn't have to lose to begin with. That should be worth at least a 0.1 seconds in the 1/4 mile when I get home.
UHEdit.jpg

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Tired and worn out after 7 months in Afghanistan. Lost between 10 to 15 pounds out here that I didn't have to lose to begin with. That should be worth at least a 0.1 seconds in the 1/4 mile when I get home.
picture.php

So are you on your way back yet or just finishing up this tour? I can't see the pic for some reason.
Have a good trip home. :beer:

Last edited:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
So are you on your way back yet or just finishing up this tour? I can't see the pic for some reason.
Have a good trip home. :beer:

Just finishing up. Flew my last mission last night. Now just waiting to get on a plane and get out of here. Looking very forward to it.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Again, great job FLYIN.
Why do you like being a pilot vs a tacp/cct?(Can't remember which one.)

yelostang

Established Member
Again, great job FLYIN.
Why do you like being a pilot vs a tacp/cct?(Can't remember which one.)

TACP and CCT are both AF jobs...and he's a Marine :) He was probably pulling some sort of Forward Air Controller duties when he was on the ground but was still a pilot.

DSG04Lightning

U.S. PARATROOPER
Established Member
I got some cool pics of the Ziggaraut in Iraq, I need to get some pics of Alexander the greats temple here in Qalat Afghanistan, pretty cool.

Do you mean whats now the mattress storage place? But the Alex the great castle is awesome. How is Qalat? Havent been there since 06

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
TACP and CCT are both AF jobs...and he's a Marine :) He was probably pulling some sort of Forward Air Controller duties when he was on the ground but was still a pilot.

I know he's a Marine. lol
I thought the Marines had TACP's,JTAC's, and FAC's.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Holy shit those are big....sorry guys, I don't have the slightest on how to resize them...

Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE!

YOu can do it online on that site. they have a bulk one as well. there are several that you can use just do a search for "picture resizer". There is one that you can download and install on your local box here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx (XP), there are ones for vista and win7 as well. simple to use.

My suggestion would be to get one, take the pics down, resize them and then repost them.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member

TACP and CCT correct are Air Force Jobs. They do it for the Army. For Marines, the majority of our FAC's (Forward Air Controllers) are pilots by trade. We use our own. We go to school become JTAC qualified and essentially do the same jobs for the Marines that the Air Force does for the Army. We also will provide this service to other branches or to our other Allies if necessary. The units that does that is ANGLICO. I did that job in Iraq as my non flying tour in 05-06 and worked with the Army as well in 07, before flying again in 2008. We also while flying do what they call FAC A or Forward Air Controller Airborne. It is one of our specialties as an HMLA (Cobra and Huey squadron).

Here is a deployment video from last week. The FAC had his camera out that night.
Background: We were out supporting Marines in Contact over in Marjah (once that started to wind down, we got the call and diverted over to the East). The ground unit is 3rd Batallion 3rd Marines. There Patrol Base was under attack and they were receiving heavy machine gun fire and multiple RPGs. The friendlies were able to return fire and push the insurgents over into a nearby treeline around 100 meters from their patrol base. Once we checked on, we got location of all friendlies and ensured they were all in the PB. Quick talk on and a sparkle (IR pointer) from the grunts we had the correct treeline. Received the 9 line (attack brief), ground commander initials since it was danger close and it was game on. We did 3 runs, the video captures the second one and the beginning of the final run. You will see both aircraft marrying our IR pointers (sparkles). This is to ensure both aircraft have the correct target. Then you will see 20mm from the Cobra first. After he pulls off the Huey (my aircraft) you see the GAU-21 which is a .50 CAL with a rate of fire 1100-1400 rounds per minute. Followed by GAU-17 minigun 7.62x51mm at a rate of fire of 3000 rounds per minute. You see the initial minigun followed by a break because I was manuevering for backdoor guns (Us shooting while we are actually flying away from the target). Then finally you see 20mm from the Cobra as he finishes his last run. No friendly casulties, but multiple enemy ones. Good finish to my deployment. Plus it was the Marine Corps birthday.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsTEjSi-GHs"]YouTube - AH-1W Cobra and UH-1Y conduct gunruns on insurgents in Afghanistan[/nomedia]

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Background: We were out supporting Marines in Contact over in Marjah (once that started to wind down, we got the call and diverted over to the East). The ground unit is 3rd Batallion 3rd Marines. There Patrol Base was under attack and they were receiving heavy machine gun fire and multiple RPGs. The friendlies were able to return fire and push the insurgents over into a nearby treeline around 100 meters from their patrol base. Once we checked on, we got location of all friendlies and ensured they were all in the PB. Quick talk on and a sparkle (IR pointer) from the grunts we had the correct treeline. Received the 9 line (attack brief), ground commander initials since it was danger close and it was game on. We did 3 runs, the video captures the second one and the beginning of the final run. You will see both aircraft marrying our IR pointers (sparkles). This is to ensure both aircraft have the correct target. Then you will see 20mm from the Cobra first. After he pulls off the Huey (my aircraft) you see the GAU-21 which is a .50 CAL with a rate of fire 1100-1400 rounds per minute. Followed by GAU-17 minigun 7.62x51mm at a rate of fire of 3000 rounds per minute. You see the initial minigun followed by a break because I was manuevering for backdoor guns (Us shooting while we are actually flying away from the target). Then finally you see 20mm from the Cobra as he finishes his last run. No friendly casulties, but multiple enemy ones. Good finish to my deployment. Plus it was the Marine Corps birthday.
YouTube - AH-1W Cobra and UH-1Y conduct gunruns on insurgents in Afghanistan

Thanks for the pbp. I bet it feels awesome to watch these vids and hear the men on the ground cheering you on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread