Deserters

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061031/ap_on_re_us/awol_soldier_surrender

Whatever happened to people getting punished for deserting? Unauthorized Absence in a time of war carries with it a maximum penalty of death by execution. Now I am not saying this kid needs to be killed, but all he received was a slap on the hand. What kind of message does this send to the rest of America? When you are in the Military, you are part of a Unit. When one part of that Unit goes UA, it impacts the entire Unit.

This guy enlisted under his own free will. The Military isn't just a boy-scout club; it is a Military organization, which is governed by its own set of rules and guidelines. It is a killing organization, which preserves our way of life. Even if you don't agree with an Order, it is still just that, an ORDER!

Honor, Courage, Commitment, Dedication...all of these words mean something to a member of the U.S. Military and this guy just runs away because he, as a soldier, wasn't trained to go on patrol. Come on.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
FWIW
"Other than honorable discharge
These are administrative separations given to those who are separated for misconduct, fraudulent entry, homosexual conduct, or in lieu of trial by court-martial. It is given to servicemembers who have a pattern of behavior that constitutes a significant depature from military norms, or serious acts or omissions that depart from military norms. Although there is no court martial, a discharged servicemember is allowed the right to appeal to an administrative discharge board. The majority of veterans' benefits are not available to individuals with other than honorable discharges."

If he decides to stay in the US, employers can look at what discharge code he had.

I hope he goes back to Canada and stays there.

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Yeah, I understand that. Just looks like he will have a poor employment record and he will lose out on his Montgomery G.I. Bill for college.

I think the punishment needs to be a lot worse than that.

matchb0x

I'm a grown ass man!
Established Member
Back in the states aka 'the land of liberals'
Yeh that is pretty lame. We have to sacrifice alot in the military and it sucks with douchebags like this get out easily. On the other hand, would you want this retard with you in a foxhole when you're being fired on? I wouldn't.

I've had to leave to the desert when my wife pregnant came back to kiddo born leave again before kiddo was one come back to find my wife cheated on me leave again and come back divorced. yay. The only thing that got me through it was the real friend i've made in the military.

dogmush

Established Member
It's not worth the money to the Army to prosocute. Because of the prevelence of downsizing and enlistment insentives during the 90's and the early part of this decade, the military, and specificly the Army has a bunch of soilders who joined the Army for money, college support, stable employment and/or various benifits. All these benifits seem like a good deal when the job is just that, a job. You go to work in the morning, and come home in the evening. You just wear snappy clothes and once a year you qualify on a weapon. "Career" Soilders can tell themselves that they are "support" and won't see combat. Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage become postors on the wall. When you throw this kind of mentality into a combat situation you get what we're seeing here. Deserters, people refusing orders, becoming C.O.'s. It's all variations on the theme "I didn't sign up for THIS!". When this happens, it's both easier and better for the Army to dump them. They kick them out, and in most cases recoup any bonuses and college assistence paid, and send them on their way. The Army's better off with them gone, and by not prosocuting the Army can use those resources better. Like recruting and training real soilders. That's my $.02 on why you don't see jail time for this kind of thing.

YELOSNK

Established Member
dogmush said:
It's not worth the money to the Army to prosocute. Because of the prevelence of downsizing and enlistment insentives during the 90's and the early part of this decade, the military, and specificly the Army has a bunch of soilders who joined the Army for money, college support, stable employment and/or various benifits. All these benifits seem like a good deal when the job is just that, a job. You go to work in the morning, and come home in the evening. You just wear snappy clothes and once a year you qualify on a weapon. "Career" Soilders can tell themselves that they are "support" and won't see combat. Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage become postors on the wall. When you throw this kind of mentality into a combat situation you get what we're seeing here. Deserters, people refusing orders, becoming C.O.'s. It's all variations on the theme "I didn't sign up for THIS!". When this happens, it's both easier and better for the Army to dump them. They kick them out, and in most cases recoup any bonuses and college assistence paid, and send them on their way. The Army's better off with them gone, and by not prosocuting the Army can use those resources better. Like recruting and training real soilders. That's my $.02 on why you don't see jail time for this kind of thing.

Every interesting and well done post, thanks. :thumbsup:

jackers

Solid Axle Equipt
Established Member
Good post, I agree with most. I still don't like the fact that we are in a controversial war right now, and when people just up and leave, knowing that they won't spend time in the Brig, or worse, then it makes it all the easier for the next guy to not come back from leave.

Maybe it was my time spent in the Marines, but we don't just forget when someone deserts their Country.

dogmush

Established Member
jackers said:
Good post, I agree with most. I still don't like the fact that we are in a controversial war right now, and when people just up and leave, knowing that they won't spend time in the Brig, or worse, then it makes it all the easier for the next guy to not come back from leave.

Maybe it was my time spent in the Marines, but we don't just forget when someone deserts their Country.

Oh I didn't say I liked it, Or that his comrades would ever forget it. I just explained why the Army, as an institution, chose that course. I doubt very strongly that he will be at the next Family Day. One can only rely on Karma, and the fact he probably wasn't a good soilder anyway.

PONY MAN

Established Member
dogmush said:
Yeah, I would not wanted to be in combat with someone like that.
The military is more than a job, it can call for great sacrifices in times of need for serving this country.

PONY MAN

Established Member
jackers said:

You know that gotta linger in a deserters mind,that they couldn't hang with real men .
That's gotta be a shitt... feeling when they see another soldier & knw the true scarifices that soldier made & is still comitted to.

Users who are viewing this thread