Detailing the Underside of my Cobra - Polished the Driveshaft

sonicmach1

Established Member
I have been cleaning the underside of my car recently as I posted in another thread. Tonight I raised it up to 1) Tighten the rear axleshaft nuts 2) Repair the weld rust on the front crossmember. While I had it up, I had an impulse to polish the driveshaft. An hour or two of work and it came out nicely.

I just know I am going to have to polish the rest of the exhaust and the half shafts! :dw:

Before
Car_Underside_Wash34_5262012_before2.jpg

After
driveshaft_polish1.jpg

driveshaft_polish2.jpg

FYI, here is how the cross member turned out too:

subframe_before.jpg

subframe_paint1.jpg

subframe_paint2.jpg

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Looks great man - bad thing for you is that for every one thing you clean up under the car, it makes whatever you haven't touched look that much worse, and the cycle continues, lol.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I'm a big fan of polishing my driveshaft every now and then too...

Seriously, looks pretty good, but I never found the reason of cleaning the underside so much, unless you bring a rotisserie with you to car shows!?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
+1 Do not undercoat

Why not?

Helps keep rust away and will make the whole underside look way nicer. Most cars come from the factory undercoated it, boggles my mind that the mustang still does not. Guess ford likes the "rustang" insults to stay common.

Even my pos dsm came factory undercoated.

lucheski

Established Member
Why not?

Helps keep rust away and will make the whole underside look way nicer. Most cars come from the factory undercoated it, boggles my mind that the mustang still does not. Guess ford likes the "rustang" insults to stay common.

afaik all the latemodel mustang are undercoated from factory as my cobra is

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I looked under a buddies '11 and it didnt have any undercoating. Its a CA car though so I could see where Ford would omit that from a build sheet.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Looks great man - bad thing for you is that for every one thing you clean up under the car, it makes whatever you haven't touched look that much worse, and the cycle continues, lol.

Indeed! And that is the problem.

98rs

Established Member
Why not?

Every car I ever looked at that had under coating I would think that they were hiding something. No way I would under coat something unless it car that way.

Users who are viewing this thread