Determining if High Speed or Low Speed cooling fan is on?

hob

Established Member
All stock cooling system besides 170* Thermostat on 100k mile 03 Cobra. I'm trying to figure out how to determine if my high speed fan is on or if it's just my low speed. Low speed is set at 186* and high at 190* but both sounds the same. I turn AC on and it sounds very similar as well. Is there any simple ways of determining if your high speed fan is functioning properly?

I've read through the thread below and checked my "Engine Cooling Fan Resistor" which looked normal.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?936721-High-speed-fan-not-working

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm I can tell when the high speed fan kicks on, it sounds a bit louder to me. Do you have a gauge to watch engine temp? Maybe have a buddy flip on the a/c when your standing by the fans to see if you can hear a difference? I wonder if trying that method would work when the engine is colder so the high fan speed won't already be running until the a/c is turned on.

hob

Established Member
I do monitor temps via handheld tuner. i read different things but I'm wondering if 1r3z-8l603-aa part is for high or low speed fan?

4601S/C

Established Member
It may sound a bit silly, but you could try popping the hood, sitting down in front of it, and letting the car warm up from a cold start. As it warms up it will hit the trigger temp for the low speed first, and then trigger for the high speed. There is an audible difference, but it's not night and day. If you have your tune stored on a handheld then you can set the low and high triggers yourself, monitor temps. That way you know when each trigger is. Then after you're done you reload your tune with whatever fan settings your tuner intended.

hob

Established Member
Yea I was hoping there was an obvious way of seeing which is on. I'll have to just sit in front of it and listen to see if it changes.

If it doesn't ... Would it be worth to replace the resistor I mentioned above?

4601S/C

Established Member
Yea I was hoping there was an obvious way of seeing which is on. I'll have to just sit in front of it and listen to see if it changes.

If it doesn't ... Would it be worth to replace the resistor I mentioned above?

If the resistor is cheap enough sure.

Users who are viewing this thread