detroit truetrac in irs

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I believe the tech you talked to may not know our application. (full of crap is what I wanted to say!)

The instructions clearly state use OE fill, which is 75W140 full synthetic.

NO WAY I WOULD RUN ORGANIC 80W90!

OOPS! I see you have 97 cobra-->Are you running a stick axle still? The OP was talking about an IRS fill.

Yep it's a solid axle in a '97...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So truetrac or t2r? Pros/Cons?

The Torsen T2R, I believe, is still considered the superior unit.
I believe the strength factor is the same or very close to the TrueTrac.

The only con for the T2R compared to the TrueTrac, that I am aware of, is the price.

For some, the higher bias ratio advantage that the T2R has, makes it worth the extra money. Plus, it has a positive and very well established reputation in the road racing community as a torque sensing slip limiter that works and keeps on working.
Whereas the old two bolt TrueTrac(no longer made) was know to have case bolt failures. This, no doubt, left a lingering bad taste for some of the established racers, who seem now quite hesitant to give the newer 4 bolt redesign TrueTrac a go.

I also was very hesitant at first, until I verified that the new TrueTrac was in fact, fixed and now very reliable.

For those that must have the very best there are some units that are even preferred over the Torsen. Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Limited Slip Units take the torque sensing even further and also automatically adjust bias. (a rather complicated and impressive piece of engineering)
Needless to say, these are extremely expensive.

Then, there is the DPI Black Gold differential.
This one I have links for--> http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/Blackgold.htm
$$$$--> http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/blkgolddifnacs.htm

The Quaife is used in Formula One, the DPI Black gold is used in NASCAR and both are extremely durable, work extraordinarily well, and are quite expensive, far too expensive to be in my car.:eek::dw:

After all, I've got tires and fuel to buy.:burnout:

Last edited:

Taz

Established Member
I've been running a T2R with Red Line Lightweight Shockproof gear oil for a little over a year. It truely rocks on the main course at Firebird International.

Maynor

Established Member
Might be a lot more than $200 in the end. I installed a TruTrac not too long ago and did lots of research. Based on threads like this any many others, I wound up going Detroit instead of the T2R. Also found the problem with the older TruTrac's shearing off their bolts. The new ones are redesigned with more bolts and some other changes which seem to be holding up.

With the recent wear issues on the T2 and T2R, I didn't feel like chancing it. YMMV. :)

John

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Yea, since the car is used for open track and not autocross, I think a truetrac will be fine... and $200 cheaper :)

I'm not serious enough to wear out a t2r, but I would rather not worry about it.

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Where are you guys reading about torsen failures? I sell quite a few of these units over the last 7 years and haven't heard of a single failure (minus the customer who didn't put fluid in his diff).

I experienced 2 Tru-Trac bolt failures and they never once admitted there was any type of issue. Then they mysteriously update the design for no reason so yes, I do have a bad taste in my mouth.

I still feel the T2R is superior just from it's higher torque bias standpoint.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Based on that chart you'd believe that all applications from each manufacturer have the same torque bias capacity, correct?

Would you believe that?

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Based on that chart you'd believe that all applications from each manufacturer have the same torque bias capacity, correct?

Would you believe that?

Obviously not since I was asking what torque bias the T2R would have even though they list Torsen in their chart. :-D I'm not entirely sure how to read that chart to be honest. I just don't really understand what they are trying to prove with the measurement they are making (other than their pro series diff is superior to all others:bored:)

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Actually looking at the chart a little closer it is definitely wrong. I think it is supposed to be measuring torque capacity not torque bias. Torque bias ratios should be in the 2:1 to 5:1 range and is definited as the amount of torque to the tire with better traction vs. the torque delivered to the tire with the least available traction.

I'd also expect the Auburn to be higher than the gear style diffs because it is set up specifically for high torque applications. The real question is how long will it last on a road course. From others I have heard not to long.

But then again I've never really liked the Auburn unit so I'm biased (pun intended!)!

The T2R is listed at 4:1 bias ratio and the T2 is rated at 2.5:1 and I believe the tru trac was around 3.2:1 last time I looked.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Do you guys have suggestions on where to look for decent prices on a TrueTrac? Is there some reason they arn't good for autocross?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
IE:Fox bodies, SN95s, Bullits, Mach 1s, GTs, short of going to a torque arm set up, the IRS really does handle and ride nice.

:rolling:

Do you guys have suggestions on where to look for decent prices on a TrueTrac? Is there some reason they arn't good for autocross?

Wondering the same thing here as well. My IRS probably has about 50k miles on it now and I'd like to do a gear swap sometime relatively soon. Might as well go to a tru-trac or T2R while I'm at it. Why is the tru-trac not good for autocross? Can it not take the tight turns as well as a T2R?

This gear stuff is getting too expensive. I need to swap the gears on my Jeep since I have bigger tires on it, but I gotta buy/swap 2 sets instead of one like my GT, plus I should probably put some sort of street locker in the rear ($$$). :(

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
For autocrossing you are much better off with the higher bias ratio especially with an IRS equipped car. PM me if you're interested in pricing on either a Tru-Trac or T2R (although I'd recommend the T2R).

Users who are viewing this thread