Did 93 cobras have forged internals?

FSSNK

Established Member
This is actually trying to determine if 1992 was the last year for forged pistons, 5.0 engine, I have read and heard conflicting arguments. Some say 1990 was the last year., some 1993 except for the Cobras? I need an informative answer as I am not really up on the fox bodies.

fivestangs

Established Member
According to Al Kirschenbaum's 1979-1993 V8 Mustang Specifications Guide, 1992 was the last year of forged pistons (part # E7ZA-6110-CA) and ALL 93 Mustangs (including street and R model Cobras) got hypereutectic pistons (part # F3ZE-6110-AA).

FSSNK

Established Member
Thanks, that is what i thought to. I will have to print this page or buy the book to prove some people wrong.

Stinger99

Established Member
Pick up this months issue of MM&FF, the one with super charging your stang on the front...I forget what month it is. but there is a artical in there about a fox and it says in there that 92 was the last year for forged internals...

red95gts

Established Member
After running electric fans for years, I don't know how I would ever hear any minor engine noise over the roar of the clutch fan. :)

Rufus

Established Member
Oil Control

wait they had forged internals? Why would they take them out?

It was for oil control. The rate of expansion of the hypereutectic piston is more similar to that of cast iron (than aluminum is). Therefore piston clearances vary less with temperature. Forged are still better for higher output (like boosted) engines.....

My car has more than 200,000 miles, and doesn't use a bit of oil, (and has had Mobil 1 since it hit 1000 miles.

Bob

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I had to dig deep into my memory bank but thought it was done to lower emissions at start up - someone correct me if that's not the case. A quick search on google produced the following from Wikipedia:

It was discovered that when an engine was cold during start-up, a small amount of fuel became trapped between the piston rings. As the engine warmed up, the piston expanded and expelled this small amount of fuel which added to the amount of unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust.

By adding silicon to the piston's alloy, the piston expansion was dramatically reduced. This allowed engineers to specify a much tighter cold-fit between the piston and the cylinder liner. Silicon itself expands less than aluminium but it also acts as an insulator to prevent the aluminium from absorbing as much of the operational heat as it otherwise would. Another benefit of adding silicon is that the piston becomes harder and is less susceptible to scuffing which can occur when a soft aluminium piston is cold-revved in a relatively dry cylinder on start-up or during abnormally high operating temperatures.

The biggest drawback of adding silicon to pistons is that the piston becomes more brittle as the ratio of silicon is added. This makes the piston more susceptible to cracking if the engine experiences pre-ignition or detonation.

Users who are viewing this thread