Did anyone NOT break in their gears?

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
I ask because I'm getting my FRPP ISF 4.10s done on Saturday and I dunno if I'll be able to resist temptation.:rolling:

A few friends said they just heat cycled theirs a few times before rippin' on them.....

Charles236

Established Member
With gears, break in is about heat cycles more than actually seating the gears. Gears are lapped as a set at the factory, so they already have a pattern started. If they are installed properly, three or four cycles from cold to operating temperature are all that is needed.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Was told to go easy for 500 miles,so I went about 300. At 300,I was told to just heat cycle them real good and be done with it. I had already driven 300 miles on them,taking it super easy,so I just ripped on them. No noise what so ever,gears are fine.

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
What I'm worried about is my shop is 40 miles away and I won't have time to drive a few miles and stop to let them cool down.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
What I'm worried about is my shop is 40 miles away and I won't have time to drive a few miles and stop to let them cool down.

My situation was like that, shop I had them done at was 50ish miles away. I just drove the car home like normal as if nothing had changed. My gears are completely quiet.

omj

Established Member
Be sure to change the oil ASAP. I got the guys at a quicky lube to use a machine to suck it out. It had more shavings than I'd like but my gears are silent and have about 5K
on them. It's not too late to go 4.56!

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
Be sure to change the oil ASAP. I got the guys at a quicky lube to use a machine to suck it out. It had more shavings than I'd like but my gears are silent and have about 5K
on them. It's not too late to go 4.56!

LOL

She's a daily. I drove a friends 98 with 4.30s and 1st was too short for my taste. Drove another friends Mach with 4.10s and it felt right.

Users who are viewing this thread