did i break something

elmo0244

Established Member
when i went to the track last week i went to do a burnout and only one wheel spun.i tought these car's spun both all the time.the guy was to lazy to spray the water box it was kinda dry.is this bad or is it nothing.it still spin's both on the street.i don't want to worry this.

p.s a few other car's did the same thing.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
elmo0244: If you have alot of runs on your car with doing alot of burnouts, eventually the clutch pack wears in the traction lock differential in the rear. This is enevitable!!!! The clutches will wear just like the clutch disk in the tranny. When 1 tire pulls vs. 2 this is a sure sign of this. Only fix is to disassemble the rear and rebuild the clutch pack in the differential. If you end up doing this I would replace the traction lock differential with a Detroit Locker differential which has no clutches to wear. I believe True Trac has come out with a Detroit Locker diff. for the Ford 8.8 IRS rear most recently, as least when I spoke with them several months ago they were in the process of developing one and said they would have it available in the near future. This is the next best thing to having a spool in the rear but is more streetable. All for your info.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
The only bad thing about using a spool for the street is that it does not allow for different tire speeds going around corners. Somewhat liveable on dry roads but pretty hairy on wet!!!! Tires will break loose very easy. The locker allows for different tire speeds around corners even though both tires are pulling. Best of both worlds for the street/strip and don't have to worry about clutch pack wear. Just my 2cnts though

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
Friction modifier in limited slip transmissions adds "lubricity" to keep the clutches from chattering going around corners. It does not aid in differential clutch grip.

86style

Established Member
keep in mind too that some tracks put down a fair amount of "glue" right after the water box. if one of your tires got enough on it, it would not spin while the other tire was spinning.

so if you drove through the water box or drove around it and backed up to it that might have been your problem.

-pete

elmo0244

Established Member
dang i haven't checked this tread in a day i tought noone was going to reply.thank's for the reply's guy's it think my car is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread