Did I pop my engine?

03blklightning

INTERCEPTOR
Established Member
Mine did the pretty much the same thing about 4 months ago. It would idle real ruff and white smoke came out of the exhaust. Not alot though. I had melted the plugs and burnt the number eight valve. Some time on a dyno, a good tune, and 2g's later it is running perfectly.

Hope you find the root of the problem.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Derek2001 said:
Check the rear heater hose for leaks. they are subject to blowing up under high boost/age.

Yep. BTDT.

Coolanthose2r.jpg

That happened a couple years back. But when you have a broken heater hose, the huge smoke show doesn't stop when you gas it, nor is it contained to only coming from the exhaust pipes.

Plus it really makes a mess of your engine bay!

Gonna head out and pull the plugs here in a bit.

Stewart

Derek2001

Established Member
Well i was just throwing out a suggestion. Anything else had been mentioned. And yes it makes quite a mess, my truck still stinks.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
Number 3 plug covered (almost dripping) in oil. Number 5 plug blown (electrode arm burnt back/porcelain almost completely gone). The rest of the plugs look like they normally do for my truck.

It's not a head gasket, but there's something still seriously wrong. It still idles like crap and it's still blowing white smoke like the Blue Angels.

Heads/valve shot? Valve guide go bye-bye?

They're stock heads and cams, so I'm not sure what it could be.

I don't have the tools to do a compression check yet.

Stewart

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Stew it sounds wierd but you should do the dollar bill test...

start the truck hold a dollar bill infront of the tail pipes... if the pulses keep the dollar bill flapping out the valves are working properly... if the pulses suddenly suck the dollar bill in then a valve of cam timing is off...

i tried it when i had a bent #7 valve... sucked it right in...

its worth a shot...

good luck man!

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
If you have an oiled plug, you might of broken a piston. If it wad dripping with oil, that sounds worse that a valve seal

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Check the pcv valve to make sure it's venting. I now think that your description of white smoke is probably oil, usually slightly "blue" looking. Does it smell like oil or coolant smoke?

If it's oil then due to it only smoking whilst idling/cruising probably means that the oil is coming from the crankcase/piston, as you leave vacuum for boost the increased cylinder pressure keeps the blowby to a minimum.

You may be able to diagnose by starting it up with smokage, remove the vacuum line from the boost actuator (or just push the arm down) and see if the vacuum will go to or near zero and if so then see if the smoking decreases or dissipates. If it does then you know you have a piston/ring issue. I truly hope it's not too bad but at this point I think a complete teardown is unavoidable. Sorry bro, know how you feel. :beer:

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
It's looking like Wednesday is the day.

Next Wednesday, the 17th, I'll be trailering my L down to SoCal to have Dante go through the engine for me.

While he has it out, Stan's making sure Dante "accidentally" reinstalls the engine with a pair of CNC ported heads outfitted with a custom grind Crower camshaft in each head. :uh oh:

:-D :rolling:

The only thing left after that is changing the exhaust and adding an aftermarket supercharger.

I'm 99% sure I'm buying Scotts Kooks setup (Sinister), depending on how much FED EX or UPS wants to overcharge to ship them out to me.

The KB/Whip will have to wait.

Silver lining...silver lining. I keep saying that to my wife and all she hears is "more money spent on the truck...never getting out of debt...need to win the lottery."

:lol1:

Stewart

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread