Did my springs, driver's side creaking a little now when steering not on bumps

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I just noticed my car doing this today when I moved it at break. It's been fine (or I just now noticed it), but at very low speeds (<5mph) I get a creaking kind of pop that I can feel through the brake pedal and hear on the driver's side. You can feel it if you put your hand on the sidewall of the tire when someone rocks the steering wheel back and forth slightly. I only feel it on the driver's side, which also happened to be the side that the mount came apart on me when I did the springs.

My only concern at this point is if the front of the car is going to come apart on me or not. I plan to do MM CC plates and everything else later on since I'm going to do the springs again as I'm not happy with my drop.

cdog1157

Established Member
From what I've read, if the mount comes apart on you then there are bearings in there that either fallout or misalign and it'll cause your upper strut mount to pop. You'll either need new upper strut mounts or the plates to stop it. I don't think it'll hurt anything, but I'm sure someone will chime in to answer that.

grnenvy

Established Member
I have done many lowering springs in these cars and it's pretty straight forward.
The hardest part like Cdog said is the upper strut mount. When blowing the bolt off of the strut u need to make sure it doesn't come apart. It's sometimes tough getting the mount loose from the spring and people start to pull and man handle it then it falls apart. When Pulling on it all u need to do it pry on top of the spring between the insulator and spring. If u pull on the top where the studs stick up it will pull apart at the bearing. The bearing case is plastic and it's just snaps together there's really nothing holding it together. U really can't install the spring wrong and if u can't just see it from looking at it u shouldn't be working on it in the first place.
Unless u left something loose I believe your problem is in the mount.

scott_0

Established Member
I agree, either your mount is bad or you didnt get something tightened to spec, check all your fasteners before tearing it apart

saunupe1911

Established Member
I hear a sound when the springs compress. I don't have any popping going since I've got new GT500 mounts. I'm starting to think I'm paranoid.

D.T.R

Established Member
I just installed my lowering springs and I do hear a clunking noise when going over bumps (it's not bad tho) ... but I think that's how the springs are... idk... it doesn't really concern me. I do not feel anything on my brake pedal though.

saunupe1911

Established Member
That's good D.T.R to hear that its a normal trait because the ride quality is outstanding the shop took their time to do it right. And they have installed numerous suspensions on S197's

D.T.R

Established Member
That's good D.T.R to hear that its a normal trait because the ride quality is outstanding the shop took their time to do it right. And they have installed numerous suspensions on S197's

Yeah, i had some other springs in the Honda that did the same. It was just the way they were made.

dumbstixlars

Established Member
I think it is the bearings being moogly on me. I drove 30 miles home last night after I posted and it was totally silent with no more funny feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread