Did the APS cooling mod

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Did the APS head cooling mod this weekend. All was going well and I was doing it with the S/C on. I sprayed that office compressed air in a can upside down on the frost plug and two hits, it was right out no problem. Put the fitting in the head and trimmed the little bracket that holds the fitting in the head.

Had it in place, slipped and down goes the bracket behind the engine. A friend was helping and we thought we could see it down there but since it's aluminum we couldn't get a hold of it. So we had to rip the S/C and intake manifold off. It wasn't down behind the engine, it was in the valley below the intake manifold :fm:

So all went well after that and got it back together and blead the coolant with no issues.

One thing though. I went WOT after and my AFRs are around 13.2 - 13.5 wot!!! Way lean! I have SCT prp and have not tuned the car yet but will be doing so this week. I made some changes to the tune (put in a MAF xfer from my old custom Diablo CMR dyno tune, we were not sure if it would work or not because Diablo used MAF volts instead of counts but we converted it to counts) before the head mod and never went WOT with it so I don't if it was the tune or not. So I reloaded the old base tune I got with the PRP and it was still lean. I went through my SCT stuff and weird things were happening with the tune files I had.

So, if it's not the tune what could it be? I've had no time to check what's going on with my SCT tunes yet. Could it be a intake manifold gasket leak or something?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Dave,also check the pcv tube on the backside.That`s the area you were messing around when you did the install,or it has been lean from the begining.

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Dave,also check the pcv tube on the backside.That`s the area you were messing around when you did the install,or it has been lean from the begining.

I will check it out. I know everything back there is such a tight fit after you get the fitting in the head and the braided line on there. I had to move the PCV line around quite a bit to get it to the right place.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I will check it out. I know everything back there is such a tight fit after you get the fitting in the head and the braided line on there. I had to move the PCV line around quite a bit to get it to the right place.

Exactly,on a side note,make sure that big wire harness isn`t touching the EGR pipe.

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Checked all the lines, they all looked good so I pulled them and made sure the boots were all still on, reloaded my original base tune and went for a run and it's nice and rich again. So I guess it's fixed, not sure if it was a vacuum issue or a tune issue.

Users who are viewing this thread