Did the ball joints today...

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
Not too bad of a job...Lots of lifting...

Anyone have ?'s

:)

I bet..

I think I'm going to go the easy route and buy the whole lower control arm with ball joint included when I do mine. Done them before and wasn't a fun task on my older vehicles.

Not sure if this is in the How-To but would have been helpful for others.

Congrats on the install..:beer:

oilwell1415

Established Member
I agree, these are some of the easiest balljoints to do. The old ones will pop out with 3 or 4 shots from a hammer and a balljoint press borrowed from the parts store will slide the new ones right in. It's easier if you put the new ones in the freezer for acfew hours before the install. Definitely easier than messing with the shock and spring.

funair02

Established Member
I agree, these are some of the easiest balljoints to do. The old ones will pop out with 3 or 4 shots from a hammer and a balljoint press borrowed from the parts store will slide the new ones right in. It's easier if you put the new ones in the freezer for acfew hours before the install. Definitely easier than messing with the shock and spring.

Yep--you've done them :) 32oz ball peen hammer is perfect!:beer:
They were the easiest I have ever done too. Living in Florida probably helps, no corrosion to deal with.
Along with the uppers just being part of the control arm, I was surprised how straightforward they all were...Pull the wheel, pull the caliper/rotor, pickle fork the upper and lower - take the tie rod off - (I also put new tie rod ends on while I was at it), two bolts for the upper arm, 4 swings of the hammer and the lower is out...pressed in the new lower -- and then reverse the process...done...(had to get an alignment at the shop today -- no problems there :) )

Now for the best part --- what a difference. The truck tracks straight and true, most all vibrations have been eliminated and it feels like the day I bought it. It is a job that is well worth doing...

I really dont see why you would replace the lower control arm unless you had 150K+ miles or live in a salt road enviroment...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread