Did you HAVE TO change your brake pads? how many miles?

cobra101

Established Member
I think I feel a slight drone when I use the brakes. It is ever so slight. I looked at the pads and there is about 1/4 inch of pad it seems left on the fronts. Is it likely I need new pads front and back with 16,000 miles. I do accelerate hard allot and brake immediately back down to legal speed limits.

If you changed pads already, how many miles did you have? what were some symptoms that you needed pads?

I don't think I need or want the rotors cut yet either way. Perhaps when I hit 35,000 miles or so.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yep i had to just replace my rear pads at 20k. i wasnt expecting it, but when i put on the tires, they were down VERY close. went with porterfields

one thing i notice and i saw another thread about this today too is that the brake dust from the stock pads was much heavier. my rears always used to have more dust on the wheels, now its the fronts

my fronts are still at about 40%

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
I just hit 36,000 miles and had to change my pads. FWIW, the rear pads were much worse off than the fronts, and I don't powerbrake the thing.

I thought that was a little wierd.

hmwave

Established Member
The Trac is the reason.
My rear pads were gone at 12K because of the slippy roads here, the Trac was always activating. The rears are braked when the Trac engages.

I now have the damn thing switched off permanently - it's a death trap IMHO.

JimBobWay

Established Member
16K on the rears, fronts doing fine at 20K. Gotta be the track lock. Mine's off all the time now too, besides, it's dry in Phoenix most of the time...

04Cobra_IA

Established Member
I had to replace the rear pads at 41K on my 01 Cobra. The fronts were still good. Traded the car at 46K.
I brake hard and a lot so for yours to be gone at 16K is amazing!
I have heard that using the emergency brake a lot (like every time you park/get out) causes the rear pads to pre-maturely wear. This is probably due to the design of the "corkscrew" piston action of the brake caliper. The e-brake actually twists the piston out to engage the rotor. It is believed that once released, the e-brake doesn't release %100 , right away. But kind of drags.
So I am doing an experiment of sorts on my new 04. I never set the e-brake unless it needs it.
Of course the 41K I got out of them was good and may be normal for rear pads.

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Changed the rear pads at 12K (plenty of 'spirited' driving). Appx. 18 K and the front's still have about 50%.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have a 1998, and no Trac lok, and I am still on the stock pads with 52,000 miles. Still have about 1/4 of the pad left by my judgment.

Bingo13

Established Member
I have 12000 miles on my car and have changed the pads 11 times and the rotors three times but then again I tend to drive a little hard on the weekends. :)

Sweetlu60

AZ Bondostang
Established Member
I have 7800 miles on mine, and just replaced the pads and rotors on the front. Seems the 150miles on the track were a little hard on them.

cobra101

Established Member
well, guess that solves it. it is quite possibly (even liekly) that I need rear pads. I will have it looked at this week and hopefully just require rear pads.

thanks for all your input.

Users who are viewing this thread