Did you mileage (MPG) get worse after pulley swap?

Did you mileage (MPG) get worse after pulley swap?

• Yes, for sure it got worse!!

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • No, didn't notice a change.

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • Yeah, but perhaps due to the change in my driving habits

Votes: 33 37.9%

• Total voters

bborder

Established Member
I did the chip/pulley at the same time so I don't know which would've affected the MPG more or if its just my driving habits... who knows.

03&68cobras

Established Member
Even with all of the mods I have, my hiway mileage is still about 20-21mpg, the same as I got stock. However, it's ability to consume fuel when the gas pedal is mashed has increased significantly. When the I have it floored, I swear I can see the needle move. Doing a couple of quarter mile passes will move the needle for sure.

mike69440

Established Member
Mileage is better

Because I do not feel the need to get into it.

Of course if you tear up the rear tires, you will get rotten MPG

I average 18-19 long term, + 20 on hi-way, driving +80

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
With the pulley change, there is a real requirement for a chip (2.93). With a good tuner the A/F ratio at WOT (when the SC is engaged usually) will be leaner than stock on these cars...a difference between ~8:1 (stock) and ~12:1 (chipped).

This may explain some of the poll results...

stang99

I just de-modded my car and the mileage stayed exactly the same as before. I thought that it would improve. I guess that I just press harder on the stock pedal than I did on the modded pedal to get the same results. But, those who said that the pullied cars can ultimately use more fuel are absolutely right. They eat noticably more gasoline at the strip when they can run wfo.

sckcobra

Established Member
if i understand correctly the more horsepower u have the less throttle it requires to move the car. so if u drove it around normal for a tank u would actually get better gas mileage ( like anyone does that ). i got about 30 40 more miles out of a tank than i did stock after i moded including chip and pulley. and i never drove it around normal always gettin on it. however at wot you are consuming way more fuel to push all that horsepower. is this right? this is what i understand from the way it was explained to me. i could be confused though

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeAsheville
With the pulley change, there is a real requirement for a chip (2.93). With a good tuner the A/F ratio at WOT (when the SC is engaged usually) will be leaner than stock on these cars...a difference between ~8:1 (stock) and ~12:1 (chipped).

This may explain some of the poll results...

HOLY SHIT!!! (8:1 stock?). I never knew Ford set the Cobra SO FAT!!! I always thought 10:1 because thats where all of the dyno charts stop at. It seems like 8:1 can't be good for the car either?.

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
Originally posted by Chonger
HOLY SHIT!!! (8:1 stock?). I never knew Ford set the Cobra SO FAT!!! I always thought 10:1 because thats where all of the dyno charts stop at. It seems like 8:1 can't be good for the car either?.

I think he is exaggerating on 8:1, but 10:1 is a very accurate reading on my car after 4k rpm's at wot. My dyno sheet almost dropped below 10:1 at 6k yesterday on the dyno. The dyno operator looked at my A/F graph and laughed, then said "well, Ford is definitely covering their butt on this motor."

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
My mileage since pulley swap has increased. I contribute it to a my driving style which never has been all that hardcore, and b the superior tune on the car vs the factory tune. I average about 150 miles per tank now which equates to around 20.5 mpg. That's 70% city, and 30% highway.

jasonc32amg

Established Member
not only does it suck down more petrol, the tires are wearing faster too:bash:

Users who are viewing this thread