Didn't get one

Scottman

Established Member
Sad, Sad news... I ended up getting a 1997 Acura 3.2TL instead. My dad decided that the Acura was a better choice for the winter driving up har in MI. I still love the Contour but I would have to say that the TL is a better all around car *brace for punches* :uh oh: Despite that, I would definately rather have the Tour...its too much fun. I'll still be browsing the forums though, the TL forums SUCK!!!:xpl:

Green SVT

Established Member
I have a 2002 3.2TL Type-S. Definitely a superior car. However, the SVT is vastly more fun to drive. Period.

-R-

LogiWorld123

Established Member
2002 3.2TL Type-S. Definitely a superior car

Well I would hope so. 4 years after the original SVTours. :)

Now, the 2002 Mondeo ST200 is vastly superior to you guys' precious Acuras

<doesnt brace for punches, because he is standing guard with a louisville slugger>:burn:

Scottman

Established Member
Yeah, first gens were auto only but in 2002 I belive they offered a manual in the CL. My car has the ULTRA COOL imitation stick shift thing though!!! :loser: Regarding this ST200... I havent heard of those before. If its anything like an updated CSVT, it'll kill the Acuras! Im still an SVT person:-D

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by Scottman
Yeah, first gens were auto only but in 2002 I belive they offered a manual in the CL. My car has the ULTRA COOL imitation stick shift thing though!!! :loser: Regarding this ST200... I havent heard of those before. If its anything like an updated CSVT, it'll kill the Acuras! Im still an SVT person:-D

The ST220 is the European Contour, aka Mondeo.

ST is Sport Technology
220 is the horsepower.

"Ford bring performance back
Declan Colley, (27th September 2002)

t seems so long ago that the Ford Sierra Cosworth was the car that set tongues wagging and created a mystique among the public at large that must have even taken its manufacturers by surprise.

With its shattering turbo-enhanced performance and outrageous looks typified by the giant coffee table rear wing, the 'Cossie' was not only the thing to have for rallying or racing on the track, it was an object of desire for anyone with even an ounce of petrol coursing through their bloodstream.

I remember well having it on test, not only for the unbelievable driving experience that it provided, but also because of the stream of people calling to the door demanding to be given a spin in it. Such attention did it draw that it was the motoring equivalent of having a Stealth bomber parked in your driveway.

Ford, of course, have produced many memorable performance machines over the years, but in the mid range segment, they never really topped the Sierra Cosworth. There was a 'performance' version of the last Mondeo, but it had none of the dynamism of its illustrious predecessor and there was nothing about it that stood it so outrageously apart from the pack. OK it had a 2.5 litre V6 derived from the Mazda MX 6, but even that did not help to spark the adrenal gland in the same way the 'Cossie' did.

Now, however, Ford have come up with a new performance version of the new Mondeo and I am delighted to report that once again that Ford's Special Vehicle Engineering department has come up with a machine that ignites the senses and is capable of lighting the fuse of any decent, self respecting petrolhead.

The ST220 (with ST an acronym for 'sport technologies,' Ford's so called brand philosophy for performance derivative models, and 220 indicating the power output) is a very different beast from the legendary Cosworth, with its looks being rather more car park than race track. That said, however, its relatively understated looks disguise performance capabilities which should satisfy even the most demanding helmsman (or woman - let's keep this PC).

However, even with looks which are far from being over the top, the Mondeo still stands out and during my time with the car, I was surprised by the number of people - several of whom are virulently non-Ford buyers - who went out of their way to comment on how smart and well appointed the ST220 looked. With its lowered suspension, 18" sixteen spoke alloys, extended wheel arches, aerodynamically enhanced front and rear air dams, twin exhausts, miniscule rear winglet, and diamond mesh grille inserts, the ST220 cuts a fine sculpture.

The measure, generally, of a good sports saloon is not necessarily its top speed (151 mph in this case), or its standing start capabilities (0-60 mph in 6.8 seconds), but in the hurly-burly cut-and-thrust of cross country B-road driving, where its handling prowess and outright performance are best evaluated. With pin sharp throttle response, equally precise and confidence inspiring steering characteristics, finely honed handling and excellent stopping power, the ST220 does not disappoint.

THE three litre V6 is an extraordinary mix of smoothness and sheer grunt and its capabilities are most obviously underlined not on flat-out motorway blasts, but again off the beaten track where the purpose of the 280Nm of torque and the seem-ingly bottomless pit of power available, are best illustrated and where the work the Ford engineers have done on the suspension in terms of making this a balanced and well-fettled chassis without many of the bug bears associated with high-powered front wheel drive machines (torque steer etc), moves clearly into view.

While the suspension and damping are necessarily solid to allow the car cope with applying the available power to the tarmac, the ride comfort had not been compromised unduly and when you experience how the car sits firmly into sharp corners or clings on impecuniously in fast curves, you really appreciate its capabilities. I suppose because of the performance parameters involved, I expected the ST220 to come as standard with a six speed gearbox, but Ford has decided to utilise its MTX75 five speed unit in this car and I have to say I found it to be very well matched to the V6, providing as it does a nice balance for the vagaries of town, motorway and cross country driving that is all part of the modern motoring experience. The 300mm ventilated discs at the front and solid 280mm discs at the rear suggest that stopping the ST220 will not be a problem and that proves to be the case. Ford's own figures indicate that the system delivers a 62mph to zero braking distance of just 37 metres and my experience did not provide room to quibble. ABS, ESP and traction control all add to the sense of security in this whole area.

The well-fettled interior, which includes Recaro front seats and leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob, as well as a unique instrument panel, is well put together and easy to live with and the overall specification does not leave much room for complaint.

Overall then we have here a performance Ford which lives up to expectations. It is an intelligent, good looking and extremely quick machine which delivers everything claimed of it and while it cannot match the visual exuberance of some of its forebears, it nevertheless brings an understated exuberance to the class. And class is the word.

The cost: 47,450

The engine: an all aluminium 24 valve quad cam V6 with a maximum output of 220 bhp at 6.150 rpm and 280 Nm of torque at 4,900 rpm.

Top speed is 151 mph and the combined fuel consumption is 27.7 mpg.

The competition: The new Opel Vectra GSi, the VW Passat V6 4 Motion, the Volvo S60 T5, the new Mazda 6 2.3 Sport ( which may or may not be introduced here), the Honda Accord Type R.

The comfort zone: Positively bristling. It has everything."

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Originally posted by Matt
Methinks the Five Hundred will quench our thirst.

I know differently.

Looks like a replacement for the Taurus to me. Atleast it looks better!

Still no manual transmission (great another POS slushbox only car :rolleyes: ) & from the weight and setup probably no handling as well. :bash:

I wouldn't give it a second thought from the previews.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Correctamundo!

Personally I like the looks of the Gen IV Taurus. Just wish they had a MTX, hell even if it is attached to a 3.0L Duratec and no the Yamahammer :-(

But the 500 is going to be replacing the Taurus, and the Focus 'replaced' the Contour.

Originally posted by DemonSVT
I know differently.

Looks like a replacement for the Taurus to me. Atleast it looks better!

Still no manual transmission (great another POS slushbox only car :rolleyes: ) & from the weight and setup probably no handling as well. :bash:

I wouldn't give it a second thought from the previews.

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Correctamundo!

Personally I like the looks of the Gen IV Taurus. Just wish they had a MTX, hell even if it is attached to a 3.0L Duratec and no the Yamahammer :-(

But the 500 is going to be replacing the Taurus, and the Focus 'replaced' the Contour.

We will all see in 2003.

Green SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt
Well I would hope so. 4 years after the original SVTours. :)

Now, the 2002 Mondeo ST200 is vastly superior to you guys' precious Acuras

<doesnt brace for punches, because he is standing guard with a louisville slugger>:burn:
Sorry Matt. Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. The ST200 IS nice, but it isn't vastly superior to my Acura.

-R-

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by Green SVT
Sorry Matt. Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. The ST200 IS nice, but it isn't vastly superior to my Acura.

-R-

I meant the ST220 :)

But since neither of us have driven the 2003 ST220, benefit of the doubt lies with me

:)

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Hope Ford learned from the Contour not to Americanize it just slap 5 MPH bumpers and what everelse needed to pass US specs. But leave the suspension alone. Test drove the Mazda 6 and if the 2nd Mondeo is in the same class. All I have to say is WOW :thumbsup: :D

Users who are viewing this thread