Diehard Gold 99 Cobra?

ZZYZXXXX

Established Member
I was just in one of my local Sears stores and the guy behind me told me there is no Gold available for my Cobra? I find this impossible to believe. I just checked online and there is one available on their site but the store I went to does not have it in stock, I would have to go elsewhere. A Gold does exist for my Cobra, right? Not going to compare to an Optima as I have read all the threads and figure it is not worth the extra money to me.

Thanks,

Rotzs99

Established Member
Not answering your question because I don't know, but FWIW, Motorcraft batteries are actually very highly rated.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Of course there is a series of battery that fits your car - in fact the "Gold" series is going to be the exact same dimensions as the regular battery in that line, just with more plates for more cranking amps and reserve minutes. The battery that fits your car will also fit in a bunch of other Fords, as well as other makes and models; they all share the same "parts bin" when designing the cars :D

Interesting to note is that almost ALL automotive batteries are made by one company, Johnson Controls, who then private labels them to everyone. I can't speak for Motorcraft or other OEM, but I can say for almost all aftermarket batteries this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if JC made them for manufacturers too.

ZZYZXXXX

Established Member
I just made it easy and went with a Ford battery. I don't drive the car in the winter, so CCA do not really mean much to me for this car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Its funny they said that... my friend harold had a gold in his 97 gt... which.. ironically... looked a lot like my own personal battery in my 01...

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I just went through this yest., he said they don't make gold anymore the equivalent is the silver when comparing cranking amps/capacity.

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
I just recently picked up a daily driver so I am finally able to park the cobra. It sat for a week and wouldn't start today. Jumped it and it cranked right up. So I assume it is the battery going bad.

If that is the case, does it really matter what battery I get? I have some very basic mods done to it an nothing extreme planned in the foreseeable future.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I just recently picked up a daily driver so I am finally able to park the cobra. It sat for a week and wouldn't start today. Jumped it and it cranked right up. So I assume it is the battery going bad.

If that is the case, does it really matter what battery I get? I have some very basic mods done to it an nothing extreme planned in the foreseeable future.

You might want to check for a drain. I have a drain on mine so I keep a bettery tender on it.

mnewxcv

Established Member
How would I go about checking for drains?

google it for step by step instructions, youre going to need a multimeter and hook it up to see if theres a draw with everything turned off. There should be a very slight draw (for clock and ecu memory etc).

Cobra_GATA

Established Member
This thing looks old and tired. I don't even know what brand it is. I am going to take it somewhere this weekend to see if it is truly on its last leg. If not, I will go the route of seeing what is draining the battery.

Does it make sense to get anything more than a just a off the self battery? I see these expensive batteries on American Muscle but don't see why I would need anything like that.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have Duralast batteries in all of my vehicles. Even my boat. I haven't had any issues with them. The last one in my Cobra went bad, but it was under warranty. They swapped it no questions asked.

1hot281

Established Member
Motorcraft battery lasted 8 years in my Saleen before finally giving up on me. Replaced it with another Motorcraft.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
See if there is a date on the battery. I don't see many batteries lasting past 5 years but they do. 3-5 is all I usually expect.

Get the battery tested at an autoparts store. See how much of a charge it will hold

Users who are viewing this thread