diff cover leak

84venom

Established Member
Can I get the cover off without droppin the it's? I have a 2000 R.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I doubt it 99-04 Cobra's you have to drop the pumpkin out. I would assume the Cobra R would be the same.

SvtChris03

Established Member
My 03 is doing what your cobra R is doing, I bought it with this leak but it hasn't really affected the drivabilty at all, I am going to re seal it with some RTV or some other ford silicon sealent after I remove the differential cover and replace the fluid. The power these things put out make the rear end leak, its a very common problem on these SVT cobras with IRS

Bigggy

Established Member
On the 03-04 it's possible, Ive done it last year. Did not remove the half-shaft either. But I would say that it's a real pain tu put the cover back on, the cover will have to squeeze between the back mount and the ring gear. In my case i had the RTV on the cover when I did that, was hard but finally did it. Doing it a second time I think i would drop the pumkin.

b_dike

Established Member
I did mine while in the car as well... Not sure what a 2000r's rear IRS subframe looks like though. So it may be possible.

weaselp1

Established Member
My 03 is doing what your cobra R is doing, I bought it with this leak but it hasn't really affected the drivabilty at all, I am going to re seal it with some RTV or some other ford silicon sealent after I remove the differential cover and replace the fluid. The power these things put out make the rear end leak, its a very common problem on these SVT cobras with IRS

I had a diff leak also when I bought my cobra - put the new FRPP stronger diff cover on and the leak has not occurred since then. You might want to look into one. Good luck!

Woody6799

Established Member
There is a way to do the rear cover without dropping the IRS. If I remember right, you unbolt the rear subframe mounts, loosen the fronts and kinda swing it down and forward. I personally dropped the whole assembly and used it as an excuse to upgrade all my bushings.

cj428mach

Established Member
I wanted to avoid dropping the pumpkin when I did my FRPP cover but I concluded that even if I was able to get the new cover on with the pumpkin in place I'd have very little room to work. This would result in me doing a crappy job and increase my chances of a leak.

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
Easiest way is drop the irs hands down. It should take you about an hour. My brother and buddy had mine out in a half hour. Cordless impact and the right tools and its a breeze. Then you can do bushings too, if not a whole kit at least the front and rear diff bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread