Diff fluid Change

clbailey

Established Member
What all is involved with changing the diff fluid in an 01 ? I have a marine lower unit pump so I can get into tight spots to fill no worries there, but is there a drain/fill plug or do I need a new gasket and what type, how much fluid is recommended?

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ive used a small hand vacuum pump to drain the diff on my '99 it was a pain in the ass but it worked. My race car has a 1/2" NPT plug in the bottom of the diff for quick draining of the diff.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
What all is involved with changing the diff fluid in an 01 ? I have a marine lower unit pump so I can get into tight spots to fill no worries there, but is there a drain/fill plug or do I need a new gasket and what type, how much fluid is recommended?

My 99 Diff Cover is stock. There is a fill plug but not a drain plug. You use a 3/8 ratchet to remove the plug.

I also used a handheld pump snaked into the diff housing. I removed only about 2.5 pints of the 3 pints total.

Used the pump to refill.

Downside of not removing the whole cover is you cannot inspect inside the diff housing for metal or damaged differential.

Upside is there is not reseal needed.

You have an 01 Cobra right? I assumed you did. The SVT owners manual I got with my 99 states IRS diffs hold 3 pints not quarts. I believe the SRA diff hold 3.75 pints

clbailey

Established Member
My 99 Diff Cover is stock. There is a fill plug but not a drain plug. You use a 3/8 ratchet to remove the plug.

I also used a handheld pump snaked into the diff housing. I removed only about 2.5 pints of the 3 pints total.

Used the pump to refill.

Downside of not removing the whole cover is you cannot inspect inside the diff housing for metal or damaged differential.

Upside is there is not reseal needed.

You have an 01 Cobra right? I assumed you did. The SVT owners manual I got with my 99 states IRS diffs hold 3 pints not quarts. I believe the SRA diff hold 3.75 pints

Good info there.. thanks man, and yea its an 01. What weight and are any additives needed?

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I used Royal purple SAE 75W-90. I did not add a friction modifier with the RP...some people will add the modifier

tnk925

Established Member
go with 75/140 with a friction modifier rather be safe then sorry and have to do it all over agen i took mine to get it done they charged me 20 bucks

tcdavis

Established Member
Well the diff. fluid change was fairly uneventful, I ended up with Royal purple 75w140 and masterpro 80w140, an O'reilly pump/siphon (worked great, 11 bucks). I must of got most the old fluid out cause I put both qts back in. then I realized (yeah after tightening the plug and crawling from underneath the car) that the rear end was higher than the front:shrug: so I got back under there and siphoned sum out to get closer to the 1.5 qts. I had actually used the dino oil to "clean" the pump so I was probably about right...should of measured it though. Anyway I got er did. thanks for advice

Users who are viewing this thread