Diff Fluid Coming Out of IRS Vent Tube

carguy96

Established Member
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but at a loss right now.
Excessive Diff fluid is coming out of the vent tube.
Stock diff cover was leaking, replaced it with a Ford Racing Diff cover. Followed instructions to a T.

As soon as I start driving the car at highway speeds for an extended period of time, Diff fluid is coming out of the vent tube excessively. Even have extended tubing off the vent and that did not solve the issue either.
If I drive the car around town at lower speeds, doesn’t do it at all. Only at higher speeds.
I used Royal Purple 75W-140 Diff fluid, unsure if that could be some sort of issue?

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya for whatever reason, filling all the way to the fill hole is overfilled and you’ll get some oil blowing out when it gets hot.

Very common.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
And the FRPP doesn't allow as much fluid. I think I put around 1.15 quarts in mine.

TP03

Established Member
Yes, as others said it's overfilled. I ran into this same problem. I kept removing fluid but hated how every time I thought I removed enough, Then I would go for a high speed blast and the vent would puke out onto my freshly clean/polished exhaust. Finally I said screw it and installed a catch can from FTBR. Works great for the price.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/images/FT_1382-Diff Cooler Catch Can Option_lg.jpg

carguy96

Established Member
Yes, as others said it's overfilled. I ran into this same problem. I kept removing fluid but hated how every time I thought I removed enough, Then I would go for a high speed blast and the vent would puke out onto my freshly clean/polished exhaust. Finally I said screw it and installed a catch can from FTBR. Works great for the price.

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/images/FT_1382-Diff Cooler Catch Can Option_lg.jpg
Guess I’m going to have to get one, or just drain the fluid and refill.
Definitely looks worthwhile though.

olympic

Established Member
The level needs to be about 1/2" below the hole. Mine took 1.25 quarts including the friction modifier.

carguy96

Established Member
The level needs to be about 1/2" below the hole. Mine took 1.25 quarts including the friction modifier.
Yeah I definitely overfilled it then. Guess I’ll either get a catch can or drain it and refill it to the proper level.

MG0h3

Established Member
Don’t drain it. Just suck some out.

Mine dripped a little after all the work but hasn’t in years.

It’s easy to overfill anything with gear oil.

We pump until it starts coming out of the hole (creampie) and then plug it.

Several ounces will run out after it starts coming out of the fill hole if you wait a minute or two. Just did the 9”, Dana 20, and Toploader in my CJ5 yesterday and there was a 6” puddle under each one.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread