diff leak..

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
diff leaked.. barely.. had it fixed..

NOW im gettting a clunk when i let off the gas or get on it barely.

I had the same problem before untill i changed the 12mm bolts to 14.. SAME CLUNK

Could the 14mm bolts go bad?

or is it something else.. it didnt have the clunk untill they took everything apart to do the differential

let me know guys

PS keep in mind when it was leaking I had no clunk! after it was takin apart it started to clunk when i got the car back

I had a nasty clunk with the 12mm bolts really nasty.. loud.. and its identical now.. but the 14mm's are in.. and that solved my problem before, could they have went bad? or is it something else?

Marc

hurtindude

Banned
since the cover was removed to fix the leak, maybe the bolts that bolt the cover to the IRS Subframe may not have been tightened, or maybe the front IRS bolts. It just sounds like something is loose and wasn't tightened or torqued properly during the repair.
If it was fine before the leak was fixed, i really don't see anything else it could be. Did you do the repair, or the dealer?

If you did it, retrace your steps and retorque everything.

One thing i have found, and this is just my humble opinion, and i am no expert, but i like to tighten the rear bolts that bolt the irs cover to the irs subframe first. I leave the front ones a little loose. I find this gets the diff square with the car, then tighten the fronts. I found that the holes on the front cross brace & mounting bracket are bigger then the bolts, so i think there is a chance you could tighten the diff down, and have it not be perfectly square with the vehicle. there is also the chance for play, which would cause noise if they were not torqued properly. I don't think having it not square would cause noise, but maybe a little extra wear on your halfshafts maybe, and your u joints. Maybe some one else can chime in as maybe i am just being anal about that.

Glfbaluhwakrguy

03 SB Cobra
Established Member
hurtindude said:
One thing i have found, and this is just my humble opinion, and i am no expert, but i like to tighten the rear bolts that bolt the irs cover to the irs subframe first. I leave the front ones a little loose. I find this gets the diff square with the car, then tighten the fronts. I found that the holes on the front cross brace & mounting bracket are bigger then the bolts, so i think there is a chance you could tighten the diff down, and have it not be perfectly square with the vehicle. there is also the chance for play, which would cause noise if they were not torqued properly. I don't think having it not square would cause noise, but maybe a little extra wear on your halfshafts maybe, and your u joints. Maybe some one else can chime in as maybe i am just being anal about that.

That's exactly what i do too! I do put the front ones in just to help hold it there, but i don't even snug them until the rear are snug. Then i torque the rear, and the torque the fronts.

combatstang

BoOsTaHoLiC
Established Member
its at the shop .. it may even be the diff brace.. they may of not tightened it.. i bet thats what it is.. sucks for them they have to take it all apart.

Users who are viewing this thread